Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spoken to two different dealerships now in the Toronto area and they both said the same thing about the Airbag light coming on. When a passenger is not sitting in the seat, it'll light up indicating that the airbag on that side is disabled because it knows that a passenger is not in that seat...

What is everyone's take on this?

PJStyles

·
Registered
627 Posts
No idea

Weird

When no one sits in my seat the passenger airbag light still turns off. Maybe that's why it's malfunctioning? - I had to take it in because the main airbag indicator light went off indicating a problem.

You bring up a very good question!

·
Registered
314 Posts
No... I doubt it. If nobody is in the seat, I think it's normal that the light is off. The only case is that if nobody is in the seat + passenger seatbelt is on, then the light should be on... as it's possible to have a child safety seat there that is lighter than 90Lbs. Has anybody tried this? I know that light works because my skinny cousin sat in my car once and the light came on. She probably weighs sub-100Lbs.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Read it

Oops!

You're right!

When no one is in the seat or someone over 42kg is seating in the seat, the light's off.

When someone under 30kg sits in the seat, the light's on. That's the only case when it should be turned on. If that's not what's happening with you, get that fixed! :shock:

·
Registered
563 Posts
The airbag, according to the manual turns off(light on) with 66lbs or more in the seat. This will only work, however, if the seatbelt is connected. If there is nothing or a light weight on the seat without the seatbelt buckled, the airbag still remains off, but the light doen not illuminate.

<66 lbs w/seatbelt buckled = AB off, light on
<66 lbs w/out seatbelt = AB off, light off
>66 lbs w/seatbelt on = AB on, light off
>66 lbs w/out seatbelt = not sure(assuming AB on)

Craig

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
okay ... so let me get this straight, if no one is sitting there the passenger airbag light should turn on briefly upon starting the car, then turn OFF after 6 secs or so.

Now, if someone is sitting there it again should turn on briefly upon starting the car, and agian turn OFF after 6 secs or so.

But, if someone is lighter than 42kg, which is about 92 lbs, the passenger airbag light should turn on upon starting the car and STAY on?

is that correct?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes you're right. How many of you have NOT read your users manual? Its not THAT long only 1 - 2 hours read. You'd think, for a $25,000 book, you'd read it. right??

·
Registered
563 Posts
But, if someone is lighter than 42kg, which is about 92 lbs, the passenger airbag light should turn on upon starting the car and STAY on?

is that correct?
As long as the seatbelt is buckled/

Craig

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
TellyDSP said:

is that correct?
As long as the seatbelt is buckled/

Craig

thanks craig :) for clearing that up, seems like my airbag sensor is good, *crosses fingers*...but imma have the dealer check all the problems just as a preventative measure..

·
Registered
563 Posts
While your in there, see how the whole system works with a full grown person without a seatbelt. I'm assuming the airbag is on, but not really sure.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well, the seatbelt thing I have my doubts about. When I put my school books on the seat the airbag disabed light comes on because it thinks my pile of books is a baby seat. I don't have the seatbelt fastened.

If my brother sits in the seat, the light is off (he's well above 100lbs).

If nothing or something really light (like an empty jacket) is in the seat, the light remains off, and the manual says the airbag is disabled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts