Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, while on my way back from the great white north, I noticed a rather annoying sound of rushing air from my driver's window. It was about 20 degrees (F) and I noticed the sounds anywhere from 50-80 mph. Has anyone else observed a similar sound? Is this something that the dealer will brush off?

Build Date: 12/03

Thanks!
Adam

PS: Looks like my rotors are going too - time to call the dealer!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rotors yes rush no

Nah,

I'm getting that rushing sound in my Kia Rio rental, but never from my MZ3.

For sure get the rotors looked at.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Got it here..............I believe it's turbulence from the side mirrors. Can't hear it unless the radio is off.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't hear it myself, make sure the window's seal isn't being obstructed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah i hear it from 55mph to 65mph. mine sounds like a slight whistling. i figure it's either the window seal or the folding mirror joint. it annoys the crap out of me. just another one of those "why didn't they fix this crap before they released the car" kinda things.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I get a little, but not as much noise as I got in the Protege5.

I did notice that if you are driving in high winds though, it's a pain. We are having 35-50mph winds here (rain is on the way). Jjust driving 40mph on the road, I could hear it whipping the car.

As a plus for the Mz3, I heard it, but only felt a few blasts. It didn't really seem to whip the car in any direction but a few BIG gust times.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I haven't noticed the sound either. I just drove from Hagerstown to Baltimore, MD this past weekend (about 50 miles one way) and it was one of the smoothest and quietest rides I have experienced. With the radio off, you could barely hear the road notices. The suspension handled the bumps nicely and the wind hitting the car wasn't bad.

One of the reasons I love the Mazda3.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Actually, the roads here in the bay area have gotten a lot worse. That or my suspension went straight to hell overnight.

I bought the car just as we started getting major downpours, hence the roads started to pothole and warp. I've noticed, on occasional stretches, that the car likes to wobble/tilt back and forth. It's kinda cool, but also kinda weird.

At least it is smooth when it does it!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know what you're talking about. I keep pressing up on my power windows to make sure the window isn't opened a tiny bit. Luckily, we've been having major winds for a large amount of time that I've owned the 3, so I think its a product of that.

Overall, as many other people have said, the 3 is an overall quiet ride. I have trouble hearing the engine a large amount of time even with the radio off... it makes it difficult to know when to shift sometimes ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
hahaa its so quiet when idling, i forgot sometimes that my car was even on lol..

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I haven't been that bad - yet.

But I used to do it in my Protege all the time, and this is much smoother/quiet, so I'm sure I will soon enough!

·
Registered
308 Posts
If that rushing sound gets to loud the best thing to do is stop and wait for the wind to die down, its often caused by wind over the front pillars and increases with speed, it also appears worse when driving into the wind rather than with it.

Inevitably rushing sounds are different to russian sounds, its important to distinquish the differences, russian sounds are a particular type of folk music involving lots of clapping and a weird form of cossack dancing. If this is becoming a problem then it probably means your car is surrounded by a russian dance troupe, drive slowly through them and the noise will abate as you accelerate away. :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have that noise! I was just about to post about it actually. It seems like it is at highway speeds only. Also, it has only started since I have gotten my windows tinted.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
treds said:
I have that noise! I was just about to post about it actually. It seems like it is at highway speeds only. Also, it has only started since I have gotten my windows tinted.
Then I'm guessing your window tinter did what most do - they trimmed the rubber guard on the outside of the window to give it a more "profiled" look and feel - also it helps prevent the nasty streakmarks that the window gets if rolled up and down (not entirely, but somewhat better).

The result is the wind catching in that groove now.

Another thing to check is your vent. Is it on fresh or recirculate? Fresh should run more smoothly.

I noticed last tonight that the moonroof is less noisy if you move the silver wind deflector out of the way. Just don't hit a wind pocket. -- That said, it's the least noisy moonroof I've heard at 80 mph.

·
Registered
66 Posts
fiordland, I actuly had that noise, but it came from my cd player. However I dont think my mazda3 liked it to much, and my radio went kaput.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Your radio already went bad? Damn...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts