Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 1400 miles on my 2015 skyactiv mazda3 i Touring and am looking at air intake options. I've eliminated the Injen short ram intake from consideration and would love any input on the following two products:

K&N 69 Series Typhoon
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-6033TTK

Pluses:
K&N seems to be a trusted brand and has been recommended
Includes heat shield to prevent intake of hot air off the engine

Minuses:
more expensive ($247.99)
Does not meet CA emission standards (I'm in PA, but we have emissions check in my County. Guessing I'd have to find a friendly mechanic to pass me but not totally sure)

Neutral:
Uses oiled filter

OR

Corksport Mazda SkyActiv Short Ram Intake
http://corksport.com/corksport-2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-power-series-short-ram-intake.html

Pluses:
Great reviews
Less Expensive option ($179.99)

Minuses:
Short Ram (not true cold air intake - but does claim similar 5 HP gain as K&N Intake)

Neutral:
Filter does not need to be oiled and is water resistent

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I'll be sure to report back what I end up doing and my experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
You put "not a true short ram". Neither of those would net you any ram air effect so that isn't relevant.

The K&N is certainly "better quality" and you can tell it is worth the extra money since it comes with a heat shield and the pipe is metal, not silicone. However, silicone is an insulator whereas metal is not, so actually silicone is technically better since it won't be affected by heat soak as much and will keep the air cooler in that respect.

I've have used both oiled and unoiled filters. Can't say which filtered the air better, but I can certainly tell you the dryflo was easier to clean.

If you're on a budget at all, or like pretty colors in your engine bay, get the CS. If money is no issue to you, and you really want a heat shield (which won't make THAT big of a difference), get the K&N.

If it were me, I'd go CS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the injen short air ram because they're the only tuned intake for skyactiv allowing up to 12 hp and 13 lb ft of torque. I definitely notice that different. I then got the best Continental Y speed rated tires to get the most. What I need next are some coilovers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts