Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we use the square ones? when we replace our filters with lets say a K&N will we still get any ehancement in performance? becuz i always see those big cone shaped ones....haha...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The K&N or similar (such as an ITG) should net a little bit more flow and more power, not very much though.

K&N Doesn't have a filter for the 3 yet, according to their web site. Though they do have one available for the 2.3 in the 6. If the 2.3 in the 3 and the 2.3 in the 6 use the same Mazda air filter part number the K&N for the 6 should work fine in the 3. The K&N Filter info is at http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2278

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man haha...yea i was scoping out their website but i know sh*t about thelil nitpicks on cars...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I guess nothing is out for the 2.0L yet, eh?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have an AEM CAI, when I have to change the filter do I have to go back and get an AEM filter? Is it true that you can just wash the AEM filters? I remember hearing something like that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
All of the filters are different sizes. I went to Wix filters and looked at both the 6 2.3 and the 3 2.0 and they are not the same size as the 3 2.3 :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
raitchison said:
You can wash teh AEM filter just like a K&N.
Cool thx for the info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For those of you looking for a K&N for the stock air box, you can use K&N part number 33-2649. This is just 1MM wider than the stock air filter and fits in the air box perfectly.

While I have no actual data for the K&N vs. the stock air filter, I'm happy with the upgrade. I think my car is now more responsive with the throttle and a bit happier to rev. The engine sounds better now...a little bit more growl maybe? I'm not sure how much of that is in my head, but I'm happy, so that's what matters - right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The K&N site lets you input the measurements for the filter you are looking for. Someone else on here (I don't remember who) measured the 3's air filter. One of the existing K&N filters matched up almost EXACTLY with the stock 3 air filter. I figured it was worth a try, so I ordered one up. K&N says this filter is for a VW Polo, but I didn't care...it's not rocket science, just an air filter. :) Besides, you can strap an open air filter on a metal pipe and call it good, so a slightly thinner filter in the stock air box is OK with me.

I've been running with this filter for almost 1000 miles with no problems at all. I'd recommend this part number to anyone looking for a re-usable filter for their 3.

·
Registered
154 Posts
chipfiev said:
The K&N site lets you input the measurements for the filter you are looking for. Someone else on here (I don't remember who) measured the 3's air filter. One of the existing K&N filters matched up almost EXACTLY with the stock 3 air filter. I figured it was worth a try, so I ordered one up. K&N says this filter is for a VW Polo, but I didn't care...it's not rocket science, just an air filter. :) Besides, you can strap an open air filter on a metal pipe and call it good, so a slightly thinner filter in the stock air box is OK with me.

I've been running with this filter for almost 1000 miles with no problems at all. I'd recommend this part number to anyone looking for a re-usable filter for their 3.
No, litterally where did you purchase this? I called a few places that carry K & N filters but they did not stock this number. All of the vehicles listed on K & N's site are foreign models.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh...I'm sorry. I misunderstood. :)

I got mine from Martel Brothers Performance. It's a mail/web order K&N shop. It took a week from CA to get to Chicago...not too bad.

www.martelbrothers.com

The filter was $40.69...not a deep discount but a fair price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts