Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a little reminder to those people with cleanable air filters, make sure you do it on occasion. I never experienced anything this bad with my old hotshot intake (K&N filter) on my older saturn, but on the 3 with my simota intake that filter can get clogged BAD after awhile (it is not a cotton element filter).

I noticed about 3 weeks ago my milage had gone to crap, from about 34-35mpg to about 30-31mpg pretty quickly. I spent about 3 weeks figuring out what the heck could be wrong...a little of it was the 15psi in my back passenger side tire (opps, guess I forgot to check the tire pressure for a few months, my bad)...that helped about 1mpg.

Finally I took off the filter and cleaned it out. It was CAKED in crap. I had about 28k miles on the filter without cleaning, but a lot of what was on it was road salt. It my office they CAKE the parking lot and access roads with salt anytime it looks like snow, so my car gets covered like there is no tomorrow. I washed it out (disgusting to see all the crap that ran off it) and let it dry and popped it on. I could immediately feel some extra power from better breathing and my milage has shot up. I haven't measured it yet (not quite to the fillup point), but I managed 85 miles to the quarter tank when I usually manage about 100 miles or so (this is simply looking at the gas gauge) before cleaning the filter, right now I am back to normal milage (at least looking at the gauge) and I do fully expect it to be back to normal.

So, if you live anywhere where you get lots of road salt, sand, or cinders put down during the winter time you might want to seriously consider washing your air filter once the snow season is over with every year.

A 10-15% hit on milage (and probably a decent hit on performance) is none to fun and pretty easily rectified with a little filter cleaning.
-Matt

PS I also took the time to remove the lower part of the stock intake. Those two bolts are a BIATCH to get to, but its finally out of there.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=71756.msg1262533#msg1262533 date=1173705649]
PS I also took the time to remove the lower part of the stock intake. Those two bolts are a BIATCH to get to, but its finally out of there.
[/quote]

this might have a lot to do with the percieved power gain as well. My dyno showed almost no gain for the simota, while other dynos showed significant gains, the only main difference between the setups being that my resonator was still in place (for quick swaps back to stock for dealer visits). Hardly scientific (two different cars, two different dynos, drastically different absolute numbers), but its data. With it out of the way, there should be a lot mroe flow of cool air through the engine bay just from looking at it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
uhh do you think driving with 28k miles since the last clean might have had something to do with it...for God's sake Man. Our stock filters get dirty fairly quick and they are inside a box...a CAI filter is out in the open for the most part...which means it's going to get dirty much quicker LMAO. Make sure you don't use compressed air to blow it out!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=71756.msg1262533#msg1262533 date=1173705649]
Just as a little reminder to those people with cleanable air filters, make sure you do it on occasion. I never experienced anything this bad with my old hotshot intake (K&N filter) on my older saturn, but on the 3 with my simota intake that filter can get clogged BAD after awhile (it is not a cotton element filter).

I noticed about 3 weeks ago my milage had gone to crap, from about 34-35mpg to about 30-31mpg pretty quickly. I spent about 3 weeks figuring out what the heck could be wrong...a little of it was the 15psi in my back passenger side tire (opps, guess I forgot to check the tire pressure for a few months, my bad)...that helped about 1mpg.

Finally I took off the filter and cleaned it out. It was CAKED in crap. I had about 28k miles on the filter without cleaning, but a lot of what was on it was road salt. It my office they CAKE the parking lot and access roads with salt anytime it looks like snow, so my car gets covered like there is no tomorrow. I washed it out (disgusting to see all the crap that ran off it) and let it dry and popped it on. I could immediately feel some extra power from better breathing and my milage has shot up. I haven't measured it yet (not quite to the fillup point), but I managed 85 miles to the quarter tank when I usually manage about 100 miles or so (this is simply looking at the gas gauge) before cleaning the filter, right now I am back to normal milage (at least looking at the gauge) and I do fully expect it to be back to normal.

So, if you live anywhere where you get lots of road salt, sand, or cinders put down during the winter time you might want to seriously consider washing your air filter once the snow season is over with every year.

A 10-15% hit on milage (and probably a decent hit on performance) is none to fun and pretty easily rectified with a little filter cleaning.
-Matt

[/quote]

Do you have to oil your CAI? are you worried about MAF & CEL coming up?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
the simota doesn't need oil I don't think, its a urethane foam filter

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I've learned that cleaning the Maf takes no longer than 15 minutes and should be done like every oil change.

I just use the CRC maf cleaner spray and maybe 5 quick bursts on the inside of the Maf sensor, let it dry, and all done.

In most cases, an Oiled filter offers better filtration than a dry filter. This is why I think a lightly oiled filter will work well, and if you have MAF problems, then just keep up a maintenance schedule keeping the filter and MAF clean.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think I might need to get some MAF cleaner and go to town on it. My CEL came up about 100-130 miles after cleaning the airfilter and air intake. Its the same deal that was happening back in November where it would come on for 100-150 miles and then turn off or I would clear the CEL and it would come on 100-200 miles later. I cleaned the MAF lightly (staying away from the REALLY thin wire) with a Q-tip and the CEL went away until I just cleaned the filter (well 100 miles or so after). So I reset it and blew out the MAF (nothing came out) and retigtened the clamps. I will try getting some MAF cleaner later this week and try it out.

One word of warning, those MAF screws are DAMNED easy to strip. I managed to half strip one of them. Turns out that M4x12mm (16mm long might fit) bolts are good replacements for the MAF bolts if this happens to you. This might have also been a reason the CEL came up as I am fairly sure I slightly stripped it when I put it back in after cleaning the filter and totally did it in after resetting the CEL.
-Matt

PS K&N filters call for cleaning every 50k miles. I think I am going to shoot for more like 15k miles on cleaning this filter (or once a year). I think down the road I am still going to end up getting a full on CAI...someday. As for gains without the resonator there, it could be. The filter was really clogged though. Then again the lower intake/resonator is placed so it is likely going to block some air flow at speed and maybe restrict the filter a little bit (the filter sits pretty close to it), dunno.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
someone mentioned oiling the rubber ring on the MAF but did not mention what on some other thread... anyone know?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
the sealing o ring

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
thats not good, there should be an oring that seals the MAF sensor to the housing. . .

intake leaks are never a good thing, I don't think you're doing any harm by not having it there, but there certainly IS an oring on mine I know, and if you don't tighten the screws down evenly, it can get pinched, thats why some suggested oiling it

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fuck me with a splintered wooden spoon!

I went out to my car, as I am so busy right now at work, and poped the intake off, tipped it over, and lo and behold the broken O ring fell out. I feel like blistering the wall paint with cursing right now.

At least it didn't get sucked into the engine (thanks for small favors).

*sigh*. The sealing is pretty tight on the surface of the MAF holder with the MAF sensor itself. If I get CELs down the road again I will try fashioning a new O ring (might take some doing, but I might manage). The problem is when I pulled it off last time (with the stripped screw) I noticed about half of the bottom plastic lip on the MAF had broken off (but not fallen in)...I guess somehow it managed to break and it snapped the O ring (the O ring wasn't just in the intake, but also broken).

Damn.

*sigh*

Could be worse.

grrr.

Oh well, here's to hoping no CELs come up (like I said the seal is pretty darned good right now).
-Matt

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
a gasket maker should be able to work. I'd imagine a high temp silicone one would work like a charm. Perhaps only make it a tad more difficult to remove the MAF.

I'd use it sparingly to act as a "seal".

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that is what I figured on doing if I end up having CEL issues down the road. So far no CEL, but last time it took about 150 miles before it came on (only about 100 miles in now). then again last time I am 99% sure that the stripped screw was preventing a decent seal, at least that is taken care of now.
-Matt

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
just get another o-ring, lowes or home depot sell whatever size o-rings you would need, and it'll be a lot cheaper than a tube of silicone

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not sure that it will work. Half the lower plastic ring that holds the rubber O-ring in place broke off as well. I think there might be room above the top plastic ring on the MAF that another O-ring will fit.

I am still going to wait and see on the CEL, if it revisits me then I will hitup the Depot for rings and if I can't find something that will work I will try gasket maker.
-Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts