Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I was Colorado's former LoJack Installation Supervisor. In the general public, of course it works. But how people wonder...

The unit can be purchased at any dealer (virtually) and a little box gets installed. All it needs is a constant source of 12v and a solid ground. It can be anywhere, but usually the installers are lazy and go for the typical 7-10 spots. The police vehicles get as control unit and 4 antennas on the roof in a square configuration. Since the box in the customers' car radiates a unidirectional signal, when activated, it is up to the antennas and control box in the police vehicle to decipher the signal.

One QUICK downfall is: the control box can only work at a 3 sec interval. Meaning, it deciphers the signal once every 3 secs (at the fastest speed). Yes they do claim a 90%+ return rate, but there were cases where the warranty kicked in (in 24 hrs they pay you back) and they still considered it a return.

There is one thing they dont know that I do. I tested it in my company van and didnt even care to tell them. I asked one of the R&D guys and they said it cant happen, but it did.

Since the LoJack is on a 12v source, and needs a ground, if the battery terminations were swapped (essentially blowning all the fuses in the car and damaging the ECU) the LoJack was melted. Now you may be wondering "WTF did you do that for?". I disconnected the ECU and let the sparks fly.

If you ask LoJack, they will say there is no way to disable it. But there is, and I know how. Besides, they dont know I still have a modified control box that will pick it up like the police.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Personally, after installing them and learning all the technical about them, Yes I believe they are a good scam.

Its only a matter of time before people will learn how to bypass them. Dont let LoJack fool you into thinking they have a lot to do with the Police tracking the cars.

Some officers hate it...

· Registered
2,757 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
vaBooM said:
Personally, after installing them and learning all the technical about them, Yes I believe they are a good scam.

Its only a matter of time before people will learn how to bypass them. Dont let LoJack fool you into thinking they have a lot to do with the Police tracking the cars.

Some officers hate it...

welll shoot haha...oh well i think ill keep thinking i'll get my car back lol...
Im not saying it doesnt work. Youll probably get your car back, because 80% of theives arent professionals.

IMO, there is nothing you can do to stop a professional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.