Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mazda3 driver seat is killing my back. The Recaro seat I found below looks nice, but I have a couple questions.

1. Will the side air curtain airbag still function in my car? I know I lose the normal side impact bag.
2. Can I opt for the power model? If I do, do I need to have special wiring done?

http://www.autobahnpower.com/products.asp?recnumber=387

·
Registered
40 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=71653.msg1261863#msg1261863 date=1173660565]
1000.00? :shock: Id put up with a sore back.
[/quote]
+1

That would suck to lose those options!!! Didnt you pay extra for them? Is safety a concern at all???

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
have you tried adjusting the lumbar on your seat?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Side airbag I can live without. Side air curtain I can't.

People will pay $400 for a $10 plastic wing, untold thousands for leather, hudreds for a CD changer vs single CD. Start looking at BMW or even Mini and it gets more ridiculous. $450 wood steering wheels, $300 for a homelink autodim mirror. How about $2500 for bigger wheels and tires? $2k+ for a body kit? With BMW, an engine upgrade and typical options like premium and convenience packages can easily cost $8k.

I paid $15900 out the door for this car. I can afford an extra grand. I'd much rather have a 2.0l touring with a great seat than a 2.3l with a few minor upgrades and the same seat.

$1000 to enjoy the car 5x more is well worth it, and I can stick the stock seat back in when I sell, and put it in my next car.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you tried personally sitting in those Recaro's that you're looking at? Else how will you know that they will actually be more supportive of your back?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i want new seats, but i kinda like living. side curtain airbagsand passenger airbags gone for sure, not possitvie about driver bag. not worth it imo, but ur right the stock seats do leave much to be desired. if ur really determined to get a better seat (and have airbags) go with the speed 3 seats... PRICY though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't tried the Recaros. I'd have to drive for 4 hours to check them out. I figured I'd try to find out if I lose anything other than the driver's side impact first.

If the choice is be comfortable or live, I'll choose life. The reason I didn't buy a Toyota Matrix is because it did not have curtain airbags... total dealbreaker.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Is there a way to keep our airbag functionnal with new seats??

I'd like to get some sparcos but I dont want to run w/o air bags...
pretty dangerous if you ask me! :?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
some guy from Australia I think it was put some WRX seats in his 3 and said something about using some resistors to spoof the little plug things under the seats. The plug under the seat on the drive side only gives back different values depending upon how close or far you adjust the seat forward or back relative to the steering column in order to slightly change how hard the airbag deploys. Probably uses a resistance value of some sort. I'm not sure why everyone jumps to the conclusion that the front airbag will suddenly stop working if you disconnect this wire, reason being that systems as vital as airbags have many fail safes built in by design. I would imagine that if it was disconnected the bag would still deploy at a preset value if there was no signal from that cable under the seat. Reason being that this part could fail in a crash or otherwise fail and important systems like airbags generally have fail safe modes or revert to predefined conditions if no input is available. The passenger side however has a weight sensor and you would need to spoof that sensor to think there was alway weight so if you change the seat out at least the airbag will work if you had a passenger. Otherwise the passenger side will not work. Both of these probably work with resistance values but you would need to find out what range those values are and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
be sure to post pix if you decide to get an aftermarket seat- the real question is where are you going to find the seat "brackets"

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
This is the same for most cars, you'll obviously lose the side airbags in the car but in most cars the airbags will deploy regardless. The system has a massive logic system but only till a point where it says I don't care if the sensor says no ones in the drivers seat, I'm deploying the airbag anyways. Most times you have to do a resistor mod or something but nothing overly major. For low speed collisions it uses a variety of inputs to determine the best way to react but in any high speed crash it's gonna give you the full gusto right away.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[quote author=crazyfast link=topic=71653.msg1264075#msg1264075 date=1173753422]
i want new seats, but i kinda like living. side curtain airbagsand passenger airbags gone for sure, not possitvie about driver bag. not worth it imo, but ur right the stock seats do leave much to be desired. if ur really determined to get a better seat (and have airbags) go with the speed 3 seats... PRICY though...
[/quote]

whats the word on the ms3 seats as far as cost? I want.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i believe Bride makes seat brackets for the 3.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You'll probably need to wire in a resistor to the seat airbag wiring. Not a big deal really, I did it on my Jetta when I installed Sparco seats. Biggest issue you will have is finding what size resistor you will need, which may take a multimeter. A call to Recaro may solve that, though. They are good at researching those sort of things and many times offer plugs so that will keep the airbag light from coming on and your other bags working.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
[quote author=CaptainObvious link=topic=71653.msg1260692#msg1260692 date=1173586216]
My Mazda3 driver seat is killing my back. The Recaro seat I found below looks nice, but I have a couple questions.

1. Will the side air curtain airbag still function in my car? I know I lose the normal side impact bag.
2. Can I opt for the power model? If I do, do I need to have special wiring done?

http://www.autobahnpower.com/products.asp?recnumber=387
[/quote]

I believe Lethal3 has that same seat which you are interested in. Search it up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts