Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished my seat brackets for my Sparco seats. The only thing holding me back is that i am nervous about not having the airbag sensors hooked up. I know their has been threads on this before, but i have used the search function, and can't find them. Can anyone with aftermarket seats comment on what they did with the sensor (or didn;t do). Just don;t want them to deploy (if that is possible)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Scenario: decided to skip the airbag propaganda
and wanted to take your new girlfriend out for a nice date
you go over a speed bump a little to fast... BOOOM! blow your new gf
out of her seat lol :\

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm having the same issue here. I have too tried to pull past posts on this subject and nothing comes up. I just received my seats yesterday and I'm concerned with the airbags not only deploying randomly, but I want them to work properly in case of an accident. Can we get some input on this matter ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's the information I could dig on this sort of thing from other threads and forums.

I have a 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback sport

Driver seat contains:
-Side airbag connector
-Seat position sensor. Detects how much pressure airbag should fill with depending on how far forward the seat is.

Passenger seat contains:
-Seat weight detector. Depending if there is a passenger in the seat, the airbag will be deployed or not

All of the above connections must be maintained in order to keep the system from disabling aspects of the airbag system. Also, I believe that you need to maintain the stock seat belts in order to enable the airbag system to work, part of the occupancy detection.

Now, depending on how old your Mazda3 is, you may not have all of the above issues. I think older Mazda 3's might not have side airbag or seat position sensors. I think that's why people in the old Protege5's have an easier time with aftermarket seats.

From what I've read up:

-Side airbag connector can be defeated by putting on a resister load of 2-3 ohms. Recaro and others sell universal connectors with built in resistors but they're not a perfect fit and needs some modifications.
-Seat position sensor needs to be moved from the bottom somewhere of the stock driver seat.
-Seat weight detector is some sort of cushion/bladder and needs to be moved over from the passenger seat (very difficult custom job??) into new seat.

The above are a huge deterrent to those who want to have a nice aftermarket seat but are afraid of disabling the airbag system. I always think that in the US there's tons of these mod and fab tuner shops who would do these types of installs for you for a price. I'm in Toronto, Canada and no such luck in finding places that really know how to install into Mazda3 aftermarket seats.

I really hate the Mazda3 driver seat and would love to put a Sparco or Recaro seat in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ya i just got seats last week but i didnt look into it properly before purchasing the seats. When i went to install them i had no idea that there were these sensors under the seats. i posted a thread but didnt get any answers. So your saying that if i unplug the sensors and drive with them unplugged the airbag can go off just randomly? thats fucked up. im soo dissapointed. now i have these seats in my basement and dont know what to do with them....

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, it's not that they will go off randomly, but more like they will be disabled and not set off in an accident. You must have all the sensors taken from the original seat and connected somewhere when you put in the new seat. There's ways to do it, but I don't think any of them can guarantee total OEM spec safety. Yeah it's a bummer, more technology = more difficulties to mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts