Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new '09 ms3 2 weeks ago. Is putting a new intake really worthwhile?
Will I really notice an improvement in performance??
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might notice a difference, one thing to keep in mind that is in general opening up the breathing of your engine will also help you achieve better gas milage, so long as the intake was well designed and you aren't flooring it 24/7.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
He has a speed3 and will definitely notice a difference. Most people on here report ~20hp gains with intakes on speeds.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yes. The reason the stock intake is so restrictive is because it was designed to reduce a lot of noises. However most people think it's a good thing to be able to hear the bypass valve working and turbo spooling :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
make sure you get an intake with the proper maf size and a maf straightener or you could run into problems with cel's and fuel trims being off. believe it or not, the mazdaspeed intake is crap and can trigger a cel.

only cobb and cp-e have the specs correct and i have to recommend cp-e's intakes over cobb's simply because the build quality is much higher (cobb's maf straightener is plastic, cpes is metal, etc.) and cpe makes everything in house.

the intake is the best bang for buck power mod and usually the first mod for most people, highly worth it and very easy to install yourself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have the Mazdaspeed intake with the AEM airflow straightener and love it :p. ive never had any problems even before i put the straightener in.... :yay:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=sleeperstang1994 link=topic=139553.msg3009638#msg3009638 date=1237732406]
i have the Mazdaspeed intake with the AEM airflow straightener and love it :p. ive never had any problems even before i put the straightener in.... :yay:
[/quote]

Before I chose the ms3, I was also considering a wrx. I could be wrong but I think Mazda service said Mazda has their own improved intake and will available shortly.

In terms of noise, if a turbo back/cat back exhaust is a 10 at how much louder it makes a stock car, how much louder will a less restrictive intake make?

·
Registered
903 Posts
[quote author=sleeperstang1994 link=topic=139553.msg3009638#msg3009638 date=1237732406]
[/quote]

what do your st/lt fuel trims look like? do u have a monitoring device to show me some logs, how about knock? unfortunately, the aem designed cai was recalled once already, they fixed the air straightener issue, yet it still has a larger maf tube than stock. trust me, its not the best intake.

to the op, just youtube some videos of an intake on an ms3. its not rocket science that it will make a suction noise and be noticeably louder plus give you more power.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=mazdaj link=topic=139553.msg3009240#msg3009240 date=1237689814]
believe it or not, the mazdaspeed intake is crap and can trigger a cel.[/quote]

Welcome to last year. Please don't pass out bad information and personal opinion as fact.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which would produce more hp gains, Cobb intake or Cobb Accessport?

Anyone hear that Mazda has a less restrictive intake available as an aftermarket?

Also, I understand the 2010 ms3 will have wider tires (225 vs current 205). Can these wider tires fit on a '09 stock wheels?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would get an intake AND a turbo inlet pipe (both CP-e and COBB make both). The inlet pipe goes between the intake and turbo, completing the intake, so dont just get half of it! Corksport also sells their intake + inlet as one item for very cheap!! As for sound, it doesnt increase exhaust too much i think, but you can hear the turbo spool and bypass air being blown back into the intake, it sounds amazing!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
There should be plent of videos on youtube of MS3's with intakes. It is loud, but it's a good loud, and can't really be compared to the sounds of an aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=watchurwrist link=topic=139553.msg3009780#msg3009780 date=1237739754]Anyone hear that Mazda has a less restrictive intake available as an aftermarket?[/quote]

Sorry but based on this question alone you really need to do some searching before throwing out questions answered hundreds of times already. Including previously in this very thread.

:mz3corkey:

·
Registered
81 Posts
[quote author=spnkr21 link=topic=139553.msg3011084#msg3011084 date=1237802667]
Fuckin newbs. An air intake isn't going to get u 20 horse and u won't notice any gains. Use the search button next time u have a stupid question.
[/quote]

wow! it seems it only takes about 22 post for you to become a SR. member and start trashing "noobs"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dude I noticed instant difference when I dropped in a K&N. Then 1 month later I cut out 2 larger wholes on the stock box and put an aluminum screen to keep out big debris and it pulled and sounded better than before. I put on a CAI, no difference. Now I have a short ram home made, due to L2AIC room and I don't notice it any better than the cut stock box. Oh it is LOUDER but not faster now.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Fuckin newbs. An air intake isn't going to get u 20 horse and u won't notice any gains.[/quote]

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=139553.msg3011174#msg3011174 date=1237811385]
Fuckin newbs. An air intake isn't going to get u 20 horse and u won't notice any gains.[/quote]

[/quote]

+1. Were talking about a speed3 here idiot, not a normal 3. The speed3s do, in fact, gain 20hp from an intake and there are plenty of dynos to prove it. GTFO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A 3 inch tbe will gain around 20 horse. An intake will not. I know that we are talking about a speed 3 I have one. I now remember why I never come to this site because they're always the same questions; "which intake should I get? Which BOV should I get? Will I get 75 horse if I paint my emblems?". Love you guys :p

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=139553.msg3011174#msg3011174 date=1237811385]

[/quote]
+20hp to that response

Yeah, I got the original Mazdaspeed intake and not one single issue and hell yeah I got more HP as measured by the butt dyno. Gas mileage got better also as noticed on a 240 mile drive that I had done before and after. The drive was not done to test, just something I always did to see what kind of mileage I was getting. There is more noise but I like hearing more growl, the spooling and release too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts