Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHat would be the best way to approach this? I've noticed that most of the CDN spec cars (VW Toureag, etc) have HIDs as their DRLs. I wouldn't mind converting my CDN lights to a set of HIDs. Should I order them from the US? Or simply replace the bulb?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Get Sylvanias Cool Blue or SuperWhite (not sure if this is the EXACT name) bulbs for $20-25/each (check Canadian Tire) and save yourself the hassle and $500+ :)

They look great on my PRO and significantly improved visibility while keeping the cost down and not blinding anyone!

·
Registered
272 Posts
What is involved in converting from normal headlights to HIDs? It can't be just a bulb... can it?
No you need an inductance circuitry to raise the voltage up to 23000 V. Also a strater (the starter shutdown shortly after the start when the bulb can self-maintain the electric arc)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
so the HIDS on the 3 are real HIDS right? not just the bulb to cut down costs?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
oh yea and hahaha id put HID bulbs or hyper white bulbs in the fogs...those woudl look COOOOOOL

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can just replace the bulbs get that white/blueish crystal color as well as improved visibility. Not all HIDs would need more electricity, so you shouldn't have to replace the wiring just for hids to work...

·
Banned
868 Posts
It is to my understanding that HID's use less power than regular bulbs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For HID don't you need to add an extra HID kit and there is ballast and stuff like that anyways Iam not too knowledgeable in these kind of stuff. Maybe I think that it should be HID ready cuz they can get the HID in the US as option so we might just need a plug and play kit that's it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
HID's arent just a bulb.. you need an ignitor to start the arc and a ballast to convert the charge to a high enough voltage to activate the ignitor... then come the HID bulbs themselves. you need a wire harness to plug your existing wires into, then as you turn on the switch, it goes thru the rest of the HID system to the bulbs.. depending on the car, you can do this with little to no modifications.. but sometimes, a lot of work has to be done to make it compatible.

i upgraded my car to HID's earlier last year and did a lot of research on it.. it was the first time i ever worked on my car for anything, but i was still able to do it.. so, i have no doubts that some of you who have even a tiny bit of automotive experience could do this as well.. aftermarket kits aren't DOT certified though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
but the HIDS on the 3 are real right? with all that wiring and stuffs? hahaa or did htey just put hid bulbs in htere to save money?

·
Registered
172 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
but the HIDS on the 3 are real right? with all that wiring and stuffs? hahaa or did htey just put hid bulbs in htere to save money?
They're really HIDs although they probably wont light up as much as Acura TLs, TSXs, Bimmers, etc. Acura's have one of the best HIDs imo.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
cool yea .... wont expect too much from the 3 considering that it is at htat price level...but its always sweeet to be like...yea...i got some hids ;) hahah especially in california hahaha...its like one of hte most wanted list

·
Registered
171 Posts
the hid's on the 3 should be ok if they use standard 4100-4300K color temp... the option is $700 so it better not be some cheapo ones.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i think i will get HID for my 3
but where to get...and i don't want the HID to stand out....i want it to blend in...not too bright...but has to be brighter than the Halogen ones...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts