Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've searched the forum, but I'm still a bit confused about HIDs. If you install aftermarket/OEM HIDs in your 3, will it pass inspection? Also, is there any sort of insurance deduction by having HIDs? I have a 2007 3i btw. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
insurance adjusters are assholes pardon my language, i've told my story of how the adjuster lectured me on my driving and tried to hold me 100% at fault for me dodging a skid that fell off the side of a flatbed, note as i swerved the rear quarter slightly nicked the package and my car spun out and smacked the concrete median. apparently in her opinion i should have been able to dodge the package completely ignoring the fact that the cops did in fact charge the truck with unsafe loading or something like that. even after speaking with the witnesses, they still held me 100% at fault why? cause they didn't have the license plates of the truck. She even went as far to say "We're gonna hold you 100% at fault until we find out the info from the truck, then we will put the fault on him". that being said..

they'll find anything they can wrong with ur car. in my opininion, if you get in a collision, remove the HiD kit, pop the stock halogens back in and boom. I don't see how an adjuster or tech would miss the fact that ur HIDs are aftermarket, with the relay running from the battery and what not. or the wire taps/spliced wires u used to the signal wires and such.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
mine are well hidden, so as far as insurance goes, yes maybe they would see them, but a tech? since when was opening the hood part of inspection? there are tons of members with aftermarket hid kits that have passed without removing them. its the same thing i just said about the catalytic converter. they dont get under the car and look. i live in texas, which is a green state, and i know many guys with aftermarket exhausts that pass inspection.

·
Registered
91 Posts
From my understanding Hids are only ilegal if the car never came with the options from the factory. Meaning since its a option you can add them after the fact on your own and still be legal. I may be wrong but thats how i took/understood the law.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
^^^ that may be correct to the extent that yes if they are an option they are legal, but im willing to bet that you have to buy from the dealer and get them installed there, or do it all on the purchase date. whats in question are aftermarket kits, your reference is to factory/dealer installed kits. the kits sold on the forums are definitely aftermarket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts