Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with having heat added to leather seats by a 3rd party? Any horror stories or complaints? Can this even be done?I ordered leather seats, but no heating is available as an option from the factory. :(

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What about a warmer coat? Heavier pair of jeans? Socks even?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i agree...heated seats yes may be a luxury but then again i live in california wehre it doesnt get colder than 40 degrees here...in my area...but for u guys up in canada and thecolder parts of the us may need to do it...but for hte most part...wear a pair of long johns..andyoull be fine =D

·
Registered
62 Posts
The dealer I ordered my car from has a third party installer do it. They charge 250 per seat. My friend did it from them two years ago and is perfectly happy with the results. They get too hot for me after a couple of minutes, so usually after the seat warms up I would turn it off. I chose not to get them yet, I'll see if I can stand the cold first. :) But first I have to get the car 2 months wait. :cry:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jimida
I agree with most people here that its ususally not needed, but we've already had a couple of -35C (-31F) days here and it would be nice to have (if only just for the driver's seat). $250 isn't bad but it depends on the fit and finish of the controls they install. Would they put a nice looking switch in somewhere?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Absinthe said:
Now if only there's an option for heated steering wheel..... :p
Amen! I've wanted that ever since I noticed it was available as a part of BMW & Audi's "Winter Packages".

*sigh*

I guess it's gloves for me...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
now a heated steering wheel is a different story...lol..i owuld love htat...!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Using the same dial as is used for the xenon level would be nice. They could go in the two blank spots (drivers and passenger) on the dash next to the dash dimmer switch. It would be clean and look stock. I would buy it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
yah, I know what troll is saying, it's on my dad's and mom's cars. My dad has a benzo and my mom has an Audi. Ah well, the 3 still by far outclasses all cars in it's class.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My mom has adjustable heated cloth seats in her 2003 Golf.

Aftermarket options are out there for many cars; perhaps they can be adapted or simply used as-is? Example. Link to Katzkin's site.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just asked the service/parts guy at my mazda dealership about heated seats and he said the have someone who does it, so i'm waiting for him to call me with a price.. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
There is a place in Co that mainly restores vintage interiors, and I asked them about Katzkin and heated seats.

They told me a typical leather setup, including door trim is about $1000. To add adjustable heaters, its another $125 per seat. To add cooling, is another $125 on top of that. They can heat the whole rear bench for $275.

·
Registered
202 Posts
but the price that they give is for adding the heated seats at the same time that you are having leather installed. Probably cost more if you already have leather seats and just have the heating element installed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have them on my 3 and they work very good. You can't leave them on all the time cause they get to hot but it's great for taken the chill off..

Fuji :twisted:

·
Registered
202 Posts
sounds great.. can't wait to get mine installed. where did they mount the controls? did you get it done through a mazda service dept? i am concerned that if i don't get it installed through a mazda dealer, i will run into warranty problems, if say, the airbag sensors are affected.

·
Registered
63 Posts
well that begs the question, where would be the best place to mount the switches? Those switches that I see look like high ql, also how do they install the element??? they dont rip up the leather do they?

·
Registered
202 Posts
ok. just got another quote from a different dealer. It's gonna cost $500 for the front 2 seats. Still waiting to hear from the dealer about where they are gonna mount the controls and how many heat settings they have.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ok i take that back. in true shady mechanic fashion, when i called back, he said that it will actually cost $750+ . then i asked about how getting heated seats through the dealership affected my warranty, and basically is answer was that it is the same as if i just went out and got it done myself. so why should i involve this shady mazda guy? the only reason i wanted to go through mazda service dept. is b/c i figured it would then become a covered option. forget it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ok.. got another quote for the heated seats with hi-lo setting. He said that he usually mounts the controls on the side of the seat, but that he will have to take a look at my car to see if they can be mounted elsewhere.

$225 + tax parts
$240 labor

so with tax (CA = 8.25%), that's $483.56 for the 2 front seats.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts