Mazda3 Forums banner
1321 - 1339 of 1339 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
It seems awfully hard to find a video of anyone with a Racing Beat exhaust and an MSDS header, either with a 2nd cat or a test pipe. I want to run this setup, combined with a good tune, for my power stage 1. I like the smaller diameter of the RB cat-back system compared to my runner up, the Borla @ 2.5"; I think that size will pair better for a 2.0L engine mated to an auto tranny. It's also the 4 speed, don't forget. I have fewer choices for picking the right gear, so I can't afford to trade too much midrange.

Anyone near DFW, Texas with this combo? Any links to vids even?

Comments on this combo? I don't have any other power mods yet, other than free stuff like TB coolant bypass & timing advance.

· Registered
14,062 Posts
It seems awfully hard to find a video of anyone with a Racing Beat exhaust and an MSDS header, either with a 2nd cat or a test pipe. I want to run this setup, combined with a good tune, for my power stage 1. I like the smaller diameter of the RB cat-back system compared to my runner up, the Borla @ 2.5"; I think that size will pair better for a 2.0L engine mated to an auto tranny. It's also the 4 speed, don't forget. I have fewer choices for picking the right gear, so I can't afford to trade too much midrange.

Anyone near DFW, Texas with this combo? Any links to vids even?

Comments on this combo? I don't have any other power mods yet, other than free stuff like TB coolant bypass & timing advance.
You don't want the MSDS with anything less than the 2.5L, nothing else makes enough torque to make that header worth it.
Get the vibrant.
There's a video on youtube of my car.

· Registered
90 Posts
4-1 vs 4-2-1
It's completely different.

Unless of course, you plan on keeping your car around 6,000 RPM everywhere you go.
you'll have no torque. Especially out of a 2.0L
I understand what you are referring too; however, I feel like there a couple reasons why I don't believe you.

First, I do not think that the Vibrant Performance designed piece is a true 4>2>1 style long tube manifold; those exist for the 2.0 MZR/Duratec, but typically only for RWD racing applications. It does have 4 tube to two to one, but in such a short space that it may be irrelevant.

Second, due to the engineered nature of the L-series engines, the torque curve is quite flat and not peaky at all. In fact, I think that the motor will respond well to mods that match up at higher rpm's, unlike the 2.5L. It is for this reason that I have actually convinced myself that I should go for a full 2.5" exhaust, like a Borla, instead of a 2.375" OD Racing Beat cat-back.

I also understand why you would be skeptical of this combo, as was I at first, but the Focus guys that run a full 2.5" system on a 2.0 have no complaints of loss of driveable torque. I've also got VVT, so I'm not worried really.

· Registered
3 Posts
I installed the corksport cat back on my 07 mz3 s and love it. I put about 500 miles on it now. kinda quite when sitting at an idle or just cruising on the highway, when you get hard on the throttle it gets loud and sound great. Very happy with my choice. I also have the corksport SRI on my car as well

· Registered
5 Posts
Corksport exhaust for 08 mazda 3 2.3

I have 2 catalytic converters on my car, since the rear cat is not monitored and the cs power series exhaust deletes the rear cat, and would not show a cel, would i pass emissions in ny? They visually have to see a catalytic converter, should i buy the high flow cat or not?

· Registered
1,974 Posts
I have 2 catalytic converters on my car, since the rear cat is not monitored and the cs power series exhaust deletes the rear cat, and would not show a cel, would i pass emissions in ny? They visually have to see a catalytic converter, should i buy the high flow cat or not?
I do emissions inspections in NY and yes we need to visually see the cat. Also, the 2nd cat is monitored in the CA emissions version of the 3 for that year AND if you do have a CA emissions vehicle in NY its illegal to install a non-CA certified cat and the cat has to be CA-certified specifically for said car. If its a non-CA car then you can pretty much put any cat you want.

· Registered
1,974 Posts
When i bought the car last month the carfax stated it was originally from another state but not ca,
Doesn't matter. Multiple states require new vehicles to have CA emissions systems, almost all in the northeast in fact. Check the emissions sticker under the hood, if it says anywhere that it meets CA emissions then you can't legally use that exhaust in NY unless you have a shop modify it to fit with the stock cat in place.

· Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't matter. Multiple states require new vehicles to have CA emissions systems, almost all in the northeast in fact. Check the emissions sticker under the hood, if it says anywhere that it meets CA emissions then you can't legally use that exhaust in NY unless you have a shop modify it to fit with the stock cat in place.
I dont mean to sou d stupid or anything, but i just want to make sure i have the correct information before spending my money. Did research on the emission labels im going to check today but if it says it meets ca and epa standards i wont be able to change out the cat and take the exhaust to the shop, but if it says it meets federal standards, and doesnt mention ca, i would be able to get away with a high flow cat? Or would i still have to modify the exhaust?

Edit: borla states they are legal in all 50 states would i need to worry about anything in terms of legality?

· Registered
1,974 Posts
I dont mean to sou d stupid or anything, but i just want to make sure i have the correct information before spending my money. Did research on the emission labels im going to check today but if it says it meets ca and epa standards i wont be able to change out the cat and take the exhaust to the shop, but if it says it meets federal standards, and doesnt mention ca, i would be able to get away with a high flow cat? Or would i still have to modify the exhaust?

Edit: borla states they are legal in all 50 states would i need to worry about anything in terms of legality?
This is correct. Borla, Magnaflow, and Racing Beat systems use the stock cay so yes they are legal.

1321 - 1339 of 1339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.