Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Re: 07 owner looking for exhaust

Keeping the stock cat(s) is really going to limit the gains you get from an exhaust. If you are spending money expecting to feel a huge difference, you will be unhappy. If you are doing it for asthetic reasons, sound and look then you will be extremely happy.

The exhausts that keep the stock cat all seem to have an issue with something, either the welds crack (ms) clamps dont seal fully (ark) cant buy them anymore (draxas)

Dunno about autoexe or borla, havent seen many threads with complaints on them...

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Re: question about catback exhaust... planning to put mazdaspeed CAT...

[quote author=chaos4 link=topic=73923.msg1371122#msg1371122 date=1177734439]
No cuts if you remove the lower rear control arm. Easy to do and keeps the unit for a spare.
[/quote]

Not much easier really, you need to cut the stock exhaust so you have something to slip the mazdaspeed over and clamp it onto. You cant exactly bolt up the stock one unless you have a bolt up exhaust, not a clamp type.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Re: Vibrant Exhaust

[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=75889.msg1376383#msg1376383 date=1177973298]
oh yeah i mean deletes the stock cats.

i wonder how loud they are together.
[/quote]

I had the vibrant + thunder with the highflow, pretty damn loud, like almost as loud as catless. I doubt the brand a header would make any noticable difference in sound levels.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=73923.msg1397455#msg1397455 date=1178726887]
yes but magnaflow may have only made one size.

regardless, just get a shop to weld an extension in. no biggie.
[/quote]

I agree its no biggie but having to cut and weld brand stuff you just got sucks. you would think they would make just a longer end piece.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeah I understand that, BUT if you drive that way you run the risk of melting your bumper. Feel like spending even more $ on that instead?

Our exhaust temps are pretty high, I would not chance it.

*found it was the hks that had melted a bumper not a magnaflow*

· Registered
2,901 Posts
[quote author=Panda_Man link=topic=73923.msg1455379#msg1455379 date=1180777558]
Whats the quietest exhaust for our cars? i heard draxas, but i think there's new exhaust being made that is quieter than Draxas. anyone know of a really good sounding and QUIet Exhaust? i got a Injen CAI, i don't know what exhaust will make a good and quiet combo with that intake. i wanna draw as little attention to my car as possible. thanks
[/quote]

Racing Beat

· Registered
2,901 Posts
[quote author=Panda_Man link=topic=73923.msg1457968#msg1457968 date=1180923437]
^ im basically just thinking about getting a nice good low humming tone, the hp part doesn't really matter to me.
i think i'll go with the RB. Thanks for the feedback guys. :)
[/quote]

Dude if you are just going for alittle sound pick up a muffler and have it welded in and call it a day.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
[quote author=pandastew link=topic=73923.msg1465206#msg1465206 date=1181107753]
I'm in CA help me...would you socal residents still use headers and race pipes even if its illegal? I would like to know what socal residents are using in term of exhaust...can socal Mz3 owners post what exhaust they are using and if they decide to go with headers and race pipe?
[/quote]

Ran thunder header with a vibrant cat back + a test pipe and intake.

so basically everything intake\exhaust side was completely illegal.

Still running intake + race pipe at the moment.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
[quote author=MattJackson86 link=topic=73923.msg1540864#msg1540864 date=1183783857]
So I am looking at getting an exhaust. Was originally thinking the borla. Now thinking about the vibrant with high flow cat. How is the vibrant compared to borla? (noise, performance etc.) I am looking for a good balance between power and noise. Any help is appreciated, and yes I have read all 12 pages of the thread :)

O, and a vibrant exhaust from a hatchback fits the sedan with just an extension tip right?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Vibrant will be louder. Its not obnoxious at all though. You will get more gains from it. Being that you are probably a pzev you will need to extend the tip, and make a section alittle longer so the muffler will clear the gas tank, and have a bung welded in after the highflow cat so you can put your 3rd o2 sensor in.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Having two mufflers would probably put you at minimal gains with the exhaust, since you already have it, try it and if it doesnt do what you are expecting, maybe cut out the resonator that came with the exhaust and put in a longer one, or go bipeds route...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.