Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the ms exhaust. I love how it sounds cold but as soon as warms up it does seem a lil loud or droning too me, maybe its because its 20 degrees out not sure, just wondering if other cat back or complete exhaust owners notice a change in exhaust sound due to temp or other things, like gas etc. thanks john s.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i've only had my exhaust on since the winter began and i've noticed the same. when cold it sounds great and not droney but as it opens up and expands with the heat the drone kicks in...

the price you pay. dunno how much external temps have to do with it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My Draxas system is the same way. I had a system on my Frontier as well. I think that is typical of most aftermarket exhausts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a custom 2.25" exhaust that deletes the second cat and resonator with a Magnaflow muffler.
Mine does the same thing.
When I first start the car and drive off it is perfect. If I open it up it drones like crazy. Now, after it is warmed up it drones at high RPMs only.

My question is also, do you guys have a double walled tip or single wall?

·
Registered
836 Posts
My Borla doesnt do this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[quote author=saluteTOme link=topic=67898.msg1171637#msg1171637 date=1169916894]
Single...most are single, at least the major makers of 3 exhausts
[/quote]
The tip on my car is a 4" double wall. The reason I asked if you guys had single or double is because I thought that the droning came from the two walls hitting each other at high vibrations in the tip. But, if you guys have single wall tips and it drones then that rules it out. Thank you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've got a MS exhaust on my 3.. but i only notice a change in sound AFTER i've been driving a little hard on it... then even when i am driving at low rpms it still kinda loud, i thought it might have been the ECU adjusting to the driver to save feul so it might have been running it LITTLE bit leaner so that it uses less fuel.. i mean it could be it may not. but that is just something i kinda thought it might be due to but oh wells... all my buddies love the soudn of the MS exhaust and they are all honda freaks... B16 this B18 that..haha

·
Registered
14,227 Posts
[quote author=Alfa95 link=topic=67898.msg1172788#msg1172788 date=1169995253]
[quote author=saluteTOme link=topic=67898.msg1171637#msg1171637 date=1169916894]
Single...most are single, at least the major makers of 3 exhausts
[/quote]
The tip on my car is a 4" double wall. The reason I asked if you guys had single or double is because I thought that the droning came from the two walls hitting each other at high vibrations in the tip. But, if you guys have single wall tips and it drones then that rules it out. Thank you.

[/quote]

OOOHHH! I know what your talkign about. Borla is double walled. ARK and a few others are single. I think magma-flow/MS have double walls also.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i have a custom magnaflow exhaust and i have never noticed anything like this... my tip is double wall, although there is a large distance between the two pieces of metal.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good at least I know im not crazy. Just like some days it sounds nice and others not so satisfying a sound. I dont like it too loud, no cels nothing like that. I put some iso dry gas in the other day. now it sounds all conservative and nice to me. I thought the exhaust was broken or leaking at one point, but I have come to the conclusion that its not. cant find any carbon or leaks on it. It is so open now with just the one muffler that if the car is not running perfect due to gas temp sensors timing whatever it sounds less satisfying, so i guess Ill have to work on just making the car run best. I did that timing advance mod so I guess wellput that back and a stock air filter and see if that does anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts