Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look at the interior and it looks like everything's integrated together which is gonna make aftermarket decks difficult to install I'm assuming. I've been on the RX8 forums for a while and they're having the same problems. In Japan at an auto show they want so far as to having the deck installed in the top tray (looked like ass) probably because they had no other option.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but if I can get the Bose sound system, I'd be happy. I'm not an audio buff, but I thought Bose had the best speakers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
You're wrong :p
Bose just has the best brand name. And Bose speakers CAN be very good, but the ones they put in cars (especially non-luxury cars) really aren't. The 6's Bose system is mediocre at best.

There's a saying... "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."
But you're right, if you aren't an audiophile, a Bose system will be fine.

Also on the 6 (I'd assume much like with the RX8) the HU is next to impossible to replace. You can replace everything else though (amp/speakers) with relative ease.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I actually like the dash setup very much...

but I think nowadays, dash unit is really not critical for having good sound.

it is not much more expensive to run the stock speaker output to an RCA converter/ line driver, through an EQ unit that you cusom tune the sound to your taste, to an amp that pumps decent power to some aftermarket speakers.

This gives you the best of both worlds: the stock dash with awesome sound.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I like the interior also. I would like to swap out my Mazda6 steering wheel for the Mazda3 one. It looks better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Bose just has the best brand name. And Bose speakers CAN be very good, but the ones they put in cars (especially non-luxury cars) really aren't. The 6's Bose system is mediocre at best.

There's a saying... "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."
But you're right, if you aren't an audiophile, a Bose system will be fine.

Also on the 6 (I'd assume much like with the RX8) the HU is next to impossible to replace. You can replace everything else though (amp/speakers) with relative ease.
I have to disagree with you on that.....
no audiophile would consider a Bose system to be good. Bose have good scientists, and they know how to make sound dynamic.... but Bose uses very cheap materials to built their speakers and the sound that comes out from those speakers are highly distorted.

I'm by no means an audiophile, although I'm a big audio enthuasist. Most audiophiles believe that sound should be natural, unpampered with. Bose does not create products that follow this motto.

You're probably better off with Pioneer or JBL speakers than Bose. I've listened to one of my relative's Mercedes BOSE system and compared it with my Lexus's stock Pioneer system. The Pioneer sounded more lifelike and natural IMO.... the Bose system was very flat and has no body in the music.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Tru Dat I would love to replace the stock speakers for something that can hit harder. I want all my mirrors to shake off yo.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you get the bose system you get more speakers, right? So then it would just be a matter of replacing those speakers with better ones? Or is it not as simple as that?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What about putting on the deck?
I don't see any area to place a deck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the stock head unit looks to be removable. at least it's not integrated into one dash piece along with the ac controls and whatnot...now that would suck to work with. if metra doesn't come out with some sort of kit for the mz3, it might not be worth the hassle for most to change to an aftermarket unit. if that's the case, the stock hu with a LOC should suffice.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
If you get the bose system you get more speakers, right? So then it would just be a matter of replacing those speakers with better ones? Or is it not as simple as that?
I'm not sure if you get more speakers... in the MZ6, you get better speakers, but not more.

And no, it is not as simple as that. Bose is completely proprietary technology, and therefore you'd also have to replace the amp at the very least. The head unit should be fine, if you want to just leave the stock HU.

·
Registered
70 Posts
bose setups have always been unpractically designed as far as in-car stock systems go. often there will be individual amps for each speaker, and the overall quality is not even close to being on par with even the low-end aftermarket items. some people will be happy with the sound of the stock system, which is fine..but for those who desire better sound...plan on ripping out everything minus the stock hu.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yikes... labor's going to cost more o_O...

Umm... my issue is still with the main deck. Maybe if we buy the GX version with the tape and radio player, we can rip that out easily... and then put in 2 or 4 more speakers to make 6 speakers...

Because the audio setup I've seen have all been CD systems. And I really wanna get an aftermarket deck.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Any reason why you want the deck out?

I like the HU a lot, but to get better sound, you can swap the speakers and add an amp. Personally I'll be fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some people want other features the HU doens't have, mp3 capability, an aftermarket NAV system, DVD playing capabilities.

·
Registered
70 Posts
as i've said, just wait for the 3 to be released and see if metra comes out with a dash kit for it. from the look of things, it's still a possibility as the head unit is apparently separate from the a/c controls and upper dash.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts