Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Like the topic says, I am on day 3 of my installation. Im installing a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD (already installed), Focal 165a1 components in the front, a JL 500/5 Slash Series Amp and a JL w3v3 sub into my BOSE system. Now I've installed quite a few systems before and consider myself pretty knowledgeable. I have built custom brackets for the speakers to fit and have something in mind to hold the tweeters in place, but i have a problem.

The way I'm running the speakers is running speaker wires to under the driver seat from the amp, and tapping into the correct wire that runs to the respective speaker from the harness. The rears are no problem, and I'm currently just running the Bose coax until i save up for the Focal 165ca1.

However, the problem is that the harness only contains wires for FR +/- and FL +/-. There is no separate wires for the tweeters. Now, this leads me to believe the stock crossover is somewhere after the amp, which tells me that i have to run my own speaker wire into the doors. Is that correct? And if that is the case, is there an easy way to do so? Or is there another way?

I'm on day 3 of my installation and I'd really like to be done so any help would be awesome!!!

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
yeah, you can run new wire into the door, but I had to hog out part of the molex to get them through.
I just installed some speakers and an amp on Friday.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=140220.msg3022779#msg3022779

another option, if you want to use stock wiring, is to mount the crossover inside the door and use the stock wiring up to that point.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My understanding is that on both the non-Bose and Bose systems is that the signal is full-range into the doors, then each driver has its own built-in crossover. On the non-Bose system, the 6x8 plays full-range, and the tweeter has a built-in HPF. When I installed aftermarket components in my car with the non-Bose system, I connected the components' crossover to the output for the stock 6x8 and installed the crossover in the door, then ran my own speaker wiring to the aftermarket midbass and tweeter. You should only need to run your own wires into the door if you either 1) are running very high power or 2) for whatever reason just don't like the idea of mounting the crossovers in the doors themselves.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guy... all cleared up. the thing was i was unsure of where the crossovers were but the idea of them running full range all of a sudden makes a lot of sense. the crossovers are being put in the doors as we speak. thanks for all the help. probably should of thought of that but i was worn out haha... next, how to mount the tweeters since they're bigger than the stockers! have a few ideas tho

thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=matt_whit08 link=topic=140316.msg3025107#msg3025107 date=1238361365]
next, how to mount the tweeters since they're bigger than the stockers! have a few ideas tho
[/quote]

Most people just buy the blank sail panels for the 3i (which doesn't come with factory tweeters), then drill them out and install the aftermarket tweeters in those. I got lucky in that my aftermarket tweeters fit perfectly where the factory tweeters did.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
i was able to fit my tweeters into the factory 3s sail panels after trimming some of the plastic where the original tweeter mounted. It really depends on teh size and shape of your particular tweeter

G

·
take some pictures of this whole installation if you could ^_^

im installing the same head unit as you, then some polkaudio db components speakers, with an apline amp

at least so i have an idea of what im going to expect

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know i said i would get them up yesterday but ill put them up tonight... it wont be a walk thru, just pix of the install... it should help though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts