Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i get an aftermarket cd/mp3 player will my clock and temperature guage still work

·
Registered
841 Posts
look here

If you drive an 06 and newer (which i think you do because you stated that you have temperture in the display) then follow the part where he takes the lcd off of the radio and attaches it to the cover plate because i know that the 06 and newer have the seperate hook up for the lcd display and the radio has its own plug. In order to keep your time (not sure though) you may have to hook up the radio set the time and hook up your aftermarket stereo. I would really like to help you so if you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=65594.msg1123543#msg1123543 date=1167336869]
Or at least not without alot of rigging.
[/quote]

What I said. :roll:

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=Sealy link=topic=65594.msg1123569#msg1123569 date=1167338010]
Or at least not without alot of rigging.
[/quote]

What I said. :roll:
[/quote]

The 06's are different from the 05's. Because the wiring for the lcd comes from a seperate harness and does not connect to the headunit there is not alot of modding required if i can find some pics i will show you what i mean

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=my_mazda3 link=topic=65594.msg1123584#msg1123584 date=1167339479]
. . i will show you what i mean
[/quote]

Not me, him. :? I like my HU and display just the way she be. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here is a pic from an 04/05 radio

You can see on the right hand side a wire going from the lcd to the side of the headunit and that is the wire going to the board of the headunit
But on the 06 there is a seperate plug for the lcd. This i know because i wanted to put an 06 headunit in my 05 but that didnt work since the headunit lcd was controlled by a different connector. I am still looking for a picture of the 06 headunit so i can show you more clearly

·
Registered
243 Posts
[quote author=mamock116 link=topic=65594.msg1123523#msg1123523 date=1167336225]
if i get an aftermarket cd/mp3 player will my clock and temperature guage still work
[/quote]

I installed a dvd player (minus screen) in my 06 3i and connected the stock lcd back up. The temp gauge works without a hitch but if you want the time to show up, you need to reconnect your stock HU before you plug in your aftermarket unit (with the battery attached) and set the time. If you disconnect the battery at any time after that, you need to do the whole thing again. But the best part is that its only two screws to get to the back of the stereo to do this. Bad part is, all you get is the clock and temp.

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=Mattimus link=topic=65594.msg1125419#msg1125419 date=1167444360]
[quote author=mamock116 link=topic=65594.msg1123523#msg1123523 date=1167336225]
[/quote]

I installed a dvd player (minus screen) in my 06 3i and connected the stock lcd back up. The temp gauge works without a hitch but if you want the time to show up, you need to reconnect your stock HU before you plug in your aftermarket unit (with the battery attached) and set the time. If you disconnect the battery at any time after that, you need to do the whole thing again. But the best part is that its only two screws to get to the back of the stereo to do this. Bad part is, all you get is the clock and temp.

[/quote]

so basically what i said lol It works

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, I just wanted to let 'em know that the clock wont stay there forever. I gotta go get mine back after installing my fogs.... :(

·
Registered
841 Posts
probably going to be considered thread jacking but why did you disconect the battery for installing the fogs? The car is prewired for fogs so basically it is a plug and play procedure. But everybody has their own opinion and i respect that

If i threadjacked i appologize

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys, i really want a new aftermarket headunit but i just didnt want to lose the neat function of the temperature guage. another thing i was wondering is that will the steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarket headunit

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=mamock116 link=topic=65594.msg1127441#msg1127441 date=1167601002]
- - - another thing i was wondering is that will the steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarket headunit
[/quote]

New headunit? I believe not. Or at least not without a lot of rigging. :(
[/quote]

·
Registered
423 Posts
thanks guys, i really want a new aftermarket headunit but i just didnt want to lose the neat function of the temperature guage. another thing i was wondering is that will the steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarket headunit
[/quote]

Depends on what you get. PAC makes a steering wheel control convertor for Alpine, Sony, and Pioneer - maybe more. The only draw back is there is a slow reaction time, but it's worth it cuz not having them sucks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=ambiguity link=topic=65594.msg1127621#msg1127621 date=1167609580]
[/quote]

Depends on what you get. PAC makes a steering wheel control convertor for Alpine, Sony, and Pioneer - maybe more. The only draw back is there is a slow reaction time, but it's worth it cuz not having them sucks!
[/quote]
knock on wood i have had no slow reaction time with mine yet just every once in a while ill be driving and the station or song or the mode will change but it only happens once in a blue moon

·
Registered
423 Posts
What kind of deck / convertor? I have a Pioneer with the convertor for them from PAC - just have to hold the button a little longer, just not so instantaneous as with the stock deck.

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=ambiguity link=topic=65594.msg1127871#msg1127871 date=1167638080]
What kind of deck / convertor? I have a Pioneer with the convertor for them from PAC - just have to hold the button a little longer, just not so instantaneous as with the stock deck.
[/quote]

I have the pioneer N2 unit with the pac swi-ps(hardwired) instead of infra red. On mine its almost comparable to stock

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wierd - I have the N3 and the same SWI-PS - maybe a newer version of software could have set the timing a little off. I wonder if the wires length has anything to do with it? How short are yours?

·
Registered
841 Posts
i left the wires the same length that they come from the factory because if i am not mistaken somewhere it says to leave the wires at full length. But i could be wrong i cant remember i did the install quiete some time ago. Also for your update solution i have the n3 update for mine so there shouldnt be much difference

·
Registered
423 Posts
05 mazda 3
lgl hid kit(soon to be OEM) mazdaspeed short shifter Pioneer Navigation&ipod
Front end i to gt bumper conversion BSA 315 summer rims OEM fogs
aftermarket oem leather+heaters OEM cruise control compustar starter and alarm
auto dim+compas+homelink mirror

1. How is that short shifter? I think that will be my next mod - maybe even the mazdaspeed exhaust system.
2. Auto dim-compass mirror - is that the OEM? - For some reason they have a note on mazdausa.com that this can't be installed in the Sp23 I wonder if it's because of the auto lights and auto wipers - any feedback on this???

I seriously have to take a day or two to clean up the pioneer navi install. It's a freaking mess! I can't get the unit in when I start figeting with the wires. I have a couple next goals - haha. I have a Sony XPLOD amp coming in tomorrow, so I have to rip out the 8 awg and put in 4 awg wiring, wait for the OEM stereo to clean up my f-up and get the stock LCD back in (thanks for your info on that). Right now I have the Sirius and GPS antennas on the trunk lid, but want to install them on the roof and put a sharkfin there also - that might have to wait til summer, but in NY it hasn't snowed much and the weather is still friendly so I may do it earlier - I just don't want to keep having to rip the dash apart over and over, just want it to be all done at once.

Where did you mount your GPS antenna?

As for the mods on my end... Mazdaspeed intake, rear wing spoiler, tint, pioneer navi, 18" ICW racing wheels, painted calipers, stubby antenna

1 - 20 of 22 Posts