Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting the oem 3i fog kit and put in HID bulbs since I have a spare ballast. So I was wondering around on Internet checking out bulbs, and I found two types of H11 HID bulbs.

The halogen H11 bulb looks like this

This is one type of H11 HID that I found

Here's another H11 HID which looks more like the halogen one

One is straight and one is bent at the end...

So I guess my question is that does it matter which one it is?

By the way, I have bought any kit yet, where will be my best bet to find a set. I also noticed that most people bought theirs off ebay and they have the plastic covers. However, I did found a set in UK that has the glass covers except that it's almost $120 shipped. Does it matter if I have the plastic or the glass one? I just don't want them to crack if hit by a stone chip.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The first bulb is a "hid" halogen bulb that is simply tinted blue (in other words garbage). To answer your question it shouldn't matter. The hid bulbs are re-fitted into the h11 base and it should fit irregardless of how long it is, or what the ends are shaped like.

·
Registered
528 Posts
To answer your first question - no, the straight/bent configuration shouldn't matter.
As you seem to already know, the bulbs for the fogs slide in and tighten with the part that is most adjacent to the bulb. Unlike the headlights with retention clips, the fogs are easier to fit into the housing.

My only concern is the material of the base - the halogen (OEM and aftermarket) looks like they're metal. Aftermarket HID#1 looks like some kind of plastic. Aftermarket HID#2 looks like metal.

Did I raise more questions than answer them? :?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=eiquilla link=topic=66919.msg1153351#msg1153351 date=1169001226]
To answer your first question - no, the straight/bent configuration shouldn't matter.
As you seem to already know, the bulbs for the fogs slide in and tighten with the part that is most adjacent to the bulb. Unlike the headlights with retention clips, the fogs are easier to fit into the housing.

My only concern is the material of the base - the halogen (OEM and aftermarket) looks like they're metal. Aftermarket HID#1 looks like some kind of plastic. Aftermarket HID#2 looks like metal.

Did I raise more questions than answer them? :?
[/quote]

Thanks, I guess the only question left is that is it worth it to spend $45 more on the OEM fogs with Glass cover/lens? Which one would be more durable?

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
^ lol he would know :p

I think I'm going to order my fogs tomorrow and do the mtec bulbs for now... I still wanna do the HID fogs too so let me know how it turns out. hopefully they'll turn out as good as Operator's did.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts

·
Administrator
12,854 Posts
Since the S and I bumpers are different you can't get round (that i know of) fogs for the 3i. Now you can get glass but they are more expensive. The ones you posted I'd be weary of since they don't say 3s or 3i. You could be the 1st but I've yet to see an I with round fogs (there could be some out there?!?). Even OEM fogs for the I are oval.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
I'm going to do some measuring when I get home (along with installing my sideskirts omgyay) to see if these will even fit in the space for fogs.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=Operator link=topic=66919.msg1154440#msg1154440 date=1169062048]
Since the S and I bumpers are different you can't get round (that i know of) fogs for the 3i. Now you can get glass but they are more expensive. The ones you posted I'd be weary of since they don't say 3s or 3i. You could be the 1st but I've yet to see an I with round fogs (there could be some out there?!?). Even OEM fogs for the I are oval.
[/quote]

I think they're just universal ones which you'll have to figure out how to mount them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya, but maybe glass would be more durable than the plastic. by the way, a buddy of mine went from HID to stock halogen now, so he's giving me his ballast/igniter 2-in-1 boxes. So I think I might as well do the high beam. After that I would have HID high/low/fog. This would be nice to have while driving on highways. Especially in this province where there is no lamps on highways with barely any traffic & lots of freaken deers.

I saw this somewhere on the net "AVOID EXTENDING THE WIRE BETWEEN THE BALLAST AND THE BULB OVER 13 INCHES AS THAT WILL PREMATURELY BLOW YOUR BULBS."

That's weird, does it mean it burns out or it evetually and actually goes ka-boom? Never heard of this before.

·
Administrator
12,854 Posts
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=66919.msg1157234#msg1157234 date=1169184928]
ya, but maybe glass would be more durable than the plastic. by the way, a buddy of mine went from HID to stock halogen now, so he's giving me his ballast/igniter 2-in-1 boxes. So I think I might as well do the high beam. After that I would have HID high/low/fog. This would be nice to have while driving on highways. Especially in this province where there is no lamps on highways with barely any traffic & lots of freaken deers.

I saw this somewhere on the net "AVOID EXTENDING THE WIRE BETWEEN THE BALLAST AND THE BULB OVER 13 INCHES AS THAT WILL PREMATURELY BLOW YOUR BULBS."

That's weird, does it mean it burns out or it evetually and actually goes ka-boom? Never heard of this before.
[/quote]

That's what my statement was trying to get across glass > plastic. As for HID highs..... even in remote usage it seems like a bit much. And they still have to warm up. Why not sell them and use the $$ on something else?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're right about the high, I should reconsider. I guess the problem would be when trying to flash the high beam. Constantly turning it on/off is probably not too good to the bulbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts