Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys after I installed my pro kits with two more friends i took it for a little ride and I hear noises from the front suspension...a clunk clunk... when im in parking moving my tires and noises like something is loose when I hit desalinization on the road... so I opened the hood after I came back from work and this is what I think it is the problem

I think that spaces between the strut and the hole is not right... is that the problem?

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Sounds to me like they aren't settled right in the perches yet. It may fix itself after a while, but it may be a good idea to loosen them back up and really make sure everything is seated properly.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I love the response too! It seemed that when i would go around a corner at anything over 5 mph that my car would dip drastically then when through the turn bounce the other direction. Now it's straight as can be all the way through. Also i didnt noticed any difference in the ride quality (vibration, rough ride etc) theyre quite comfortable for regular driving as well. The drop makes it all the better too, it was def a complete package.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sounds like you did not index your springs before you removed them. I would double check your spring position in relation to the bottom and top perch. It could also be your sway bar end links but someone already mentioned that. Will it make the noise if you're sitting still and turning the wheel from lock to lock?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=MicaGT link=topic=137274.msg2961123#msg2961123 date=1235594629]
Sounds like you did not index your springs before you removed them. I would double check your spring position in relation to the bottom and top perch. It could also be your sway bar end links but someone already mentioned that. Will it make the noise if you're sitting still and turning the wheel from lock to lock?
[/quote]

they sound comes from the springs and the shop look at it and says it was fine, so idk Ill ask people in a meet that we have on sunday

also andrew you are right the turnings are great, I was thinking on getting a strut bar now

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got a slightly Off topic question. I'm planning on getting my Prokit installed sometime soon, and I'm wondering how hard my wallet is gonna get hit on labor. I'm hoping no more that 3 hours ( it's $90 an hour (Canadian) Where I'm planning on taking it so i hope it doesn't take too long. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Have some friends help you, pay them in beer and pizza.

If you can't do that, it should only take a few hours. The fronts take the longest, but the backs are fairly easy to do. Those pop out within a half hour and are fully replaced. Its the fronts that can be tricky.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=Psm333 link=topic=137274.msg2961548#msg2961548 date=1235606296]
I've got a slightly Off topic question. I'm planning on getting my Prokit installed sometime soon, and I'm wondering how hard my wallet is gonna get hit on labor. I'm hoping no more that 3 hours ( it's $90 an hour (Canadian) Where I'm planning on taking it so i hope it doesn't take too long. Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

the shop that I went wanted $280... I did it with a friend save like $200... and the only thing is that it was time consuming... we did it in like 6-7 Hours... and it was our first time doing it

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
When we installed my ProKit it took about 20 minutes to do the rear and about an hour and ten minutes for the front. So hopefully it wont take the shop any longer. Keep in mind this was the first one we did so the time could be less if someone knows exactly what to do..............Hope this helps...............Clue

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, I came back from the alignment place... and the guy told me that I over tight the upper strut mount, and that is/are crushed, thats what the sound when moving my wheels from left to right on parking... that I need to buy a new ones and change them... but what I hear is only from the left side... so I soft them a little bit but it still sound, so I believe that now I have to go to the dealer and get a upper strut mount, that sucks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, I guess I will def watch out for that. Does anyone know the proper torque specs for the strut mounts then? I did a search but found nothing.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well im still on the research and I found that lost of people when taking out the strut, the upper mount opened and dropped the balls and rings and everything... and if you put it wrong you will hear a clunk clunk noise... so I think that is what happened to me, and I might put it back in the wrong way... so Ill be checking it on sunday... cuz my bolts werent that tight

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND HOW TO SOLVE IT:

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=86553.msg1647312#msg1647312 date=1187357796]
Quoted a reply that I posted from 2 years ago to help a member who accidently diassembled his strut mount...

[quote author=sok07 link=topic=32460.msg456334#msg456334 date=1130463076]
Most likely, just like I did, the mechanic accidently disassembled the upper strut mount (i.e. dropped it) The plastic upper strut mount allows the strut to freely rotate as the upper part is firmly fixed. It uses a circular array of 38 or so ball bearings that are held in place by two rings, a small ring and a large ring. If the two parts of the upper mount becomes unattached accidently, you will have 38 ball bearings scattering on the garage floor. The bearing allows the bottom part of the upper mount, which is attached to the spring, to rotate independantly from the top part. If reassembled incorrectly or if the bearing is binded and not freely rotating, whenever you turn the wheel the sound you hear is the piston rod turning in the strut. It should make sort of a muffled 'clunk-clunk-clunk' noise when you turn at low speeds.

To fix the problem, you will have to remove the strut assembly from the car. Test to see if you can rotate the mount freely w/o excessive force. Just hold the strut by the upper part (i.e the three bolts on top) and rotate the lower strut assembly....it should rotate freely almost like turning a door knob. If not, there is something wrong w/ the bearing in the upper mount. To service and repack the upper mount. Remove the spring from the strut. Take the plastic upper mount and pop the two pieces apart, being careful not to jolt it too much that the ball bearings fall out. The two pieces are literally just snapped together. There you find the two metal rings. A small ring, a middle plastic ring serving as a holder for the small ball bearings, and a large ring; all lubed up in grease. The configuration you should see is small ring on top, ball bearings in the plastic ring in the middle, and the larger ring on the bottom. IF it is installed upside down (big ring on top and little ring on bottom), the strut mount will not rotate freely...causing the clunking noise. Since you have opened up the mount, you might as well clean the bearings and rings w/ some brake cleaner/degreaser and repack it with fresh lithium grease.
[/quote]
[/quote]

·
Registered
420 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts