Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I had a system put in my car last week. I had two front components, an avic head unit, and a sub in the back put in. A day after the install, I noticed a rattling noise come from the battery side of the car but only when I accelerated. The best way to describe the noise is putting the tip of a pencil into a fan. I took it back to the audio install shop, but they said the only time they spent on the front was to hook up the wires to the battery, so it couldn't be their fault. I bought the car only a couple of weeks ago brand new and it the noise started right after I got it installed. Any advice?

·
Registered
100 Posts
They worked on the side that now makes noise? That's their problem. I would be on their ass. A lot of them shops have nothing but hacks. That's why I'd prefer to do as much as I can on my own. Take it back & don't be nice about it. You spent money w/ them, they need to at least recheck their work.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I would suspect that you have a hanging wire or plastic either into the wheel well, or next to something spinning on the engine. It may be just a gum wrapper or a twist tie.

Perhaps you can ask for help from a friend to gun the engine, and see if you can hear it with the hood open.

I paid for my install at Car Toys. It wasn't one of those "free" installations you get at discount car shops, and as such they took some time to do it right. They did at least an hour of work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it back last night and it turns out they cut a large hole on the driver's side to run wires through. However, they didn't patch the hole back up. They patched it in five minutes. No sound!

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=soulreaver156 link=topic=134416.msg2894126#msg2894126 date=1233090382]
I took it back last night and it turns out they cut a large hole on the driver's side to run wires through. However, they didn't patch the hole back up. They patched it in five minutes. No sound!
[/quote]

WTF! They cut a hole in your firewall? That's what the existing rubber grommets are there for... to run wires through... yikes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote author=soulreaver156 link=topic=134416.msg2894126#msg2894126 date=1233090382]
[/quote]

I would not be happy. See, it turned out to be their mistake. There was an entry point on passenger side firewall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm, I suppose they never actually said they cut it out. He said that the other guy working with him took off a plastic piece, leaving a big hole, and he forgot to put it back. I just figured it was something they cut. I'm guessing they're probably talking about the already existing hole. Regardless, they lost the piece to plug it back up and sealed it with Dynamat instead.

The reason I took it to a shop was that I don't know shit about this stuff in the first place. I hope nothing else is messed up...

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
They probably lost your rubber grommet. That's shady... it forms a watertight seal into the cabin, and i doubt the dynamat does. I would press them to replace the OEM grommet.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=134416.msg2894536#msg2894536 date=1233102127]
They probably lost your rubber grommet. That's shady... it forms a watertight seal into the cabin, and i doubt the dynamat does. I would press them to replace the OEM grommet.
[/quote]

Get a dealer to print you out a price for it and take it to the shop, make them buy that piece and rerun their wires through it.

Removing the hole piece was their mistake, they just thought you would not notice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=134416.msg2894541#msg2894541 date=1233102485]
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=134416.msg2894536#msg2894536 date=1233102127]
[/quote]

Get a dealer to print you out a price for it and take it to the shop, make them buy that piece and rerun their wires through it.

Removing the hole piece was their mistake, they just thought you would not notice.
[/quote]

Agree...Why in the hell did they need to remove the grommet as oppose to running the wire through the grommet? You don't remove it to run the wire through it. You just run it through where it's at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts