Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 1996 Toyota Camry I've been rocking for 9 years finally came to an explosive end at 273,543 miles. I'm looking to buy a used Mazda 3, or even a 6.
Autotrader has this 2006 Mazda3 quoted at $7900 cash, vehicle has 130,000 miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=300419130&dealer_id=56973777&car_year=2006&systime=&doors=&model=MAZDA3&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=25&min_price=&rdm=1307675616137&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=PHOENIX_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&color=&address=85008&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=9000&make=MAZDA&seller_type=d&num_records=100&cardist=6&standard=false

Doesn't look like the best deal in town, but what do you guys think? (I really do like these models, after 9 years of the same car, time for a change!!) How long could I make this baby last me with 130,000 already packed on? Carfax doesn't show any horrible things, but the lack of servicing or oil changes disturbs me :/ I'll know more when I test drive it tomorrow, but any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
Its been modded (who knows how well/tastefully), has some nasty looking stains inside, needs body work outside, and that many miles on an 06? Theyre asking 1-2k too much imo. Find yourself a better deal

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
What mods? the dash strip and window switch plates were dealer accessories.

Looks clean enough, but like Six said, too much for an 06 with that many miles. Regardless of whether you pick up that one or another 3, make sure you check the passenger side motor mount, it's really the only downfall on these cars.

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
Really? I didnt realize they had dealer acc painted pieces like that. Ok nvm, its all dealer mods

Too many miles and the front bumper is whack. And I dont wanna know what happened in the back seats to cause those stains

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I don't really care much about cosmetics.. (although those stains disturb me, haha) I'm on a budget, $8000 is my threshold. Everything on Autotrader in the Phoenix area is garbage. Maybe 1 or 2 Toyotas I'll probably check out tomorrow, but haven't had much luck finding something I even want to test. There's a Mazda 6 with 110,000 miles priced the same at $7900.. but I'll have to order a Carfax report on that one. Looks clean though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=301012650&dealer_id=65458665&car_year=2003&systime=&doors=&model=MAZDA6&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&distance=50&min_price=&rdm=1307686700054&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=PHOENIX_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&color=&address=85008&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=9000&make=MAZDA&seller_type=d&num_records=100&cardist=10&standard=false

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
Check craigslist, thats where I found my 3
My experience with autotrader is that its all wicked overpriced

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my 3 off ebay. You can find a really good price there. Only problem is you need to find something in your area which is rare to find. I had to travel like 4 or 500 miles to get my 3 in Connecticut. When looking for my 3, i had the same issue with that everything seemed overpriced on autotrader. I honestly dont believe in paying more that 7000 for a car thats over a 100 thousand miles.
Craigslist is also good, just be smart, lot of scams. Never send money through money gram or anything similar

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dont believe carfax... its complete garbage. i found my 05 on autotrader, no carfax reports whatsoever. turns out, a month or two after i bought it, paint starts chipping. turns out, at least half my car was repainted, and apparently, very cheaplly.

just make sure whatever you do, dont let your new car nerves make a quick decision. look over it and try to find stuff that isnt right.

·
Registered
780 Posts
for the cost of the 3's and 6's you are looking at, you could buy my 3 and have it shipped. I was looking to trade mine in, but if I can get $7,000 I'd take it. I only have 80,000 mi on mine. Tastefully modded, still runs great. PM me if you are interested at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can do better. i recently bought mine with a few less miles, a few more options, and a bit less money. there are tons of these cars on craigslist.

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
Dont know where you live or what your definition of 'tons' is, but I know I keep getting mail from the dealer asking me to sell them my car because theyre in short supply

·
Registered
223 Posts
definitely keep looking that front bumper looks trashed on the bottom. i got an 04 sedan 3 years ago with 75k miiles for $9k and at 106k miles now still running like the day i got it if not better ;). Im sure there are much better deals out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a pretty good deal on my Hatchback. Paid 9k and only had 50,XXX miles on it. Its the leather, sunroof and all the fancy stuff. You just gotta be diligent. If it wasnt for my dad, i probably would have bought the first car I saw which was a junk mazda 3 sedan, had terrible body work done to it. My car search took a year but it was worth it, think my car blue books around 10 to 12k. So if I decide to to sell, Ill get most my money back. Alot of people said I was asking to much for a car for only 9k, but I stuck to my guns and I got the car I wanted. But Id seriously consider ebay, its really safe way to buy private sale, but finding the car in your area is the tough part. I hate dealing with dealers especially when getting a used car, always overpriced and theres always something there not telling you. By the way ebay has a thing similar to carfax thats free thats already on the listing. Forgot what its called, but it tells you how many owners its had, if any work has been done and if the odometer checks out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but i agree with everyone here, just keep looking and you will find one. I found mine, an 08.5 speed3 with 13000 miles on it, by keeping an eye on craigslist. I just happen to fall into a good deal. keep your eyes on the local lots and i'm sure you will see one pop up. also, if there are any military bases around, keep an eye out for people around there who need to get rid of there cars due to a move or something. just FYI.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Baught the excact same one 3 weeks ago, automatic, w/108k for 6000 cash. keep looking bro thats too much money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts