Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have searched....and searched, and searched. Can someone please help me with advising how and when to adjust this bov. When do I soften, when do I hard, how will I know if I have gone too soft or too hard.

Right now I get a pretty crisp blow off at high rpm or high boost, and a pretty lame/wet fart sound at mid to low boost and no real sound at very low boost. I am running in full recirc with a Cobb SRI.

I would like less wet fart, running over the duck sound.

I know there is multiple posts on the subject, but none of the posts seem to have conclusive adjusting info. I called SU and they just said harden it if it leaks and soften it if it flutters...which I didnt find extemely helpful.

Thanks in advance.
B.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Is this affecting the performance of your vehicle or are you trying to tune this thing like you would tune an instrument? I am curious to know since mine is in the mail.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to blow off now at very low boost, plus I have fucked with it so much I am unsure if it where it needs to be. I would sure appreciate some tuning advice & general info from someone who is experienced with adjusting these.

· Registered
520 Posts
Setting Up The Turbosmart Dual Port BOV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've seen a lot of questions about how to properly set-up the Turbosmart Dual Port Blow Off Valve so I thought I would post how I did it. It will take a few trips down the street but I feel that my method to be pretty effective.

I started out with the hardness right in the middle. To set this, you tighten the knob all the way to full hard then loosen it three full turns. With this setting, go for a test drive and listen to the valve’s operation. You should be getting a nice even release of air with a 2nd gear WOT pull (pick a good road for this and watch the speed limit). If you are getting a fluttered release, loosen the valve in quarter turn increments until you hear the right valve release. When you are satisfied, take it out on the highway and go through the gears and listen to the valve (again watch your speed). This is a good time to take note of your max boost pressure if you have a gauge. If everything is set right, all gears should have a nice even release and your max boost pressure should be normal and holding. At this point, you can make minor adjustments to dial it in right where you want it.

Note 1: You only have six full turns of the knob from extreme tight until you see the red indicator mark for max softness.

Note 2: You should get some valve flutter with partial throttle releases.

Note 3: After I installed my Turbo Inlet I had to loosen my valve setting at least two full turns for proper operation."

Prepared by RichB from 247

· Registered
6,649 Posts
i installed it on my friends car last night...
well the instructions say to leave it 1/4" space between the adjusting knob and the base....
so guess leave it like that if u dont want to mess with it

· Registered
182 Posts
[quote author=CHIEFSMS3 link=topic=140841.msg3042427#msg3042427 date=1239047895]
Setting Up The Turbosmart Dual Port BOV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've seen a lot of questions about how to properly set-up the Turbosmart Dual Port Blow Off Valve so I thought I would post how I did it. It will take a few trips down the street but I feel that my method to be pretty effective.

I started out with the hardness right in the middle. To set this, you tighten the knob all the way to full hard then loosen it three full turns. With this setting, go for a test drive and listen to the valve’s operation. You should be getting a nice even release of air with a 2nd gear WOT pull (pick a good road for this and watch the speed limit). If you are getting a fluttered release, loosen the valve in quarter turn increments until you hear the right valve release. When you are satisfied, take it out on the highway and go through the gears and listen to the valve (again watch your speed). This is a good time to take note of your max boost pressure if you have a gauge. If everything is set right, all gears should have a nice even release and your max boost pressure should be normal and holding. At this point, you can make minor adjustments to dial it in right where you want it.

Note 1: You only have six full turns of the knob from extreme tight until you see the red indicator mark for max softness.

Note 2: You should get some valve flutter with partial throttle releases.

Note 3: After I installed my Turbo Inlet I had to loosen my valve setting at least two full turns for proper operation."

Prepared by RichB from 247
[/quote]
+1. Basically you gotta play around w/ it & litsen carefully untill its holding correctly.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Just to add. I installed mine yesterday, was almost perfect straight out of the box, holds boost fine, etc. However, I am getting an occasional backfire, so I tightened it up a bit and ran again, no backfire. This morning I am getting a few more back fires, but no stumble or loss of boost. I'd say with a little more tweaking she should be perfect, I am very impresed with this piece.

· Registered
333 Posts
I just installed mine a couple days ago from StreetUnit.  I'm a member of their forums and I found a GREAT writeup with helpful pics and info here: 

http://www.streetunitforum.com/showthread.php?t=3867&highlight=turbosmart+bov

Here's a piece of it:
During the install, make sure to reset your ECU by removing the negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes.
Before tuning the valve, you should allow the valve to "break in." Give it a few weeks before assuming that the valve needs adjusted. We set the valves here so they should be pretty close to the ideal setting when you guys get them on to the cars. However, each car/mods may require the valve to be fine tuned a little bit. Do not do it right away, give it some time and don't forget about resetting the ECU.
If you can't see the link, you should register up, its worth it. The link has a huge picture example on how the spacing should look and how much turn you should be doing at a time.

They also mention that you should wait a couple weeks for "break in" period.  Then tweak it some.  There's a spring in there I assume so I'm leaving it alone for about two weeks.  I'm getting backfire between gears 1 and 2 on 75% WOT shifting around 3000rpm but only then.  I haven't fully "raced" it yet to see if it happens anywhere else.

This was an upgrade from my Forge BPV and I'm fricken lovin it!!  :grin: :love:

Hope this helps!!

· Registered
1,145 Posts
[quote author=Hawaii3XTACY link=topic=140841.msg3126882#msg3126882 date=1242474540]
I just installed mine a couple days ago from StreetUnit. I'm a member of their forums and I found a GREAT writeup with helpful pics and info here:

http://www.streetunitforum.com/showthread.php?t=3867&highlight=turbosmart+bov

Here's a piece of it:
During the install, make sure to reset your ECU by removing the negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes.
Before tuning the valve, you should allow the valve to "break in." Give it a few weeks before assuming that the valve needs adjusted. We set the valves here so they should be pretty close to the ideal setting when you guys get them on to the cars. However, each car/mods may require the valve to be fine tuned a little bit. Do not do it right away, give it some time and don't forget about resetting the ECU.
If you can't see the link, you should register up, its worth it. The link has a huge picture example on how the spacing should look and how much turn you should be doing at a time.

They also mention that you should wait a couple weeks for "break in" period. Then tweak it some. There's a spring in there I assume so I'm leaving it alone for about two weeks. I'm getting backfire between gears 1 and 2 on 75% WOT shifting around 3000rpm but only then. I haven't fully "raced" it yet to see if it happens anywhere else.

This was an upgrade from my Forge BPV and I'm fricken lovin it!! :grin: :love:

Hope this helps!!

[/quote]

I have noticed a major improvement in the performance of the valve over time, so I would agree with there being a break in period. I am still impressed with this valve and I haven't had to adjust it anymore than what I have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.