Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I read (but have not used) the adjustible headlights. From what I've read, this allows the headlights to go up by 1,2,3 levels if the car is lowered by heavy cargo, or fat passengers. Oooh, i'm lovin' it! Hahahaha.

Anyway, I find this function to be rather weird. Is it really useful? Is there any OTHER reason for having it? :?

·
Registered
563 Posts
From what I know, it's only available with the Xenon's. I know Xenon's have a more distinct lighted area. I would assume it would also be helpful to reduce blinding incident's. Because of the pain that can be caused by Xenons, mostly the blue spectrum, when in heavy traffic, lowering the lights could avoid making enemies. When on the open road, raising the lights can increase distance vesibility. I'm picking up my car tomorrow and will be driving at night, I'll play with the feature and let you know what I find.

Sidenote: I know that X-types have self leveling Xenons that actually self adjust their height with the level of the road to keep them at the perfect driving height.

Craig

·
Registered
563 Posts
Valid point, I'll address that. I didn't even notice the rules, I just went by standard rules, but I'll take car of it.

Craig

·
Registered
168 Posts
factrzero said:
Hey there,

I read (but have not used) the adjustible headlights. From what I've read, this allows the headlights to go up by 1,2,3 levels if the car is lowered by heavy cargo, or fat passengers. Oooh, i'm lovin' it! Hahahaha.

Anyway, I find this function to be rather weird. Is it really useful? Is there any OTHER reason for having it? :?
Hey factrzero,

They are only available on the Xenon Lights package option...I think. I have them in my car and I love them. For the majority of the time, I have them at level "0" which is the furthest aim you can get with the best distance. However, during snowing or low visibility conditions, I have them projected more downwards using level "3". It's weird...I would expect level "3" to be the furthest aim, but it's actually the lowest. Great feature! My previous 99' Accord had to be adjusted by opening the hood and getting a philips screwdiver and adjusting it that way...very cumbersome.

You'll find it very convenient...at least it is for my region where it warrants it.

Spencer

·
Registered
272 Posts
The adjustable headlight should be used when more stuffs are transported (with passenger and/or heavy luggage in the trunk, etc...). With the additional weight the back of the car sinks and the headlight beam aims higher than it normally would. In order to avoid the glare by the headlight to other cars, the beam must be adjusted to lower angle. So yes, 0 position (conductor only) aims high, and 3 position (maximum weight) aims low.

Europe-spec Mazda3 have adjustable headlight, even with the halogen bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as I know the xenon's in european cars must be automatic adjustable (the law?). The Mazda 3 2.0 Sport comes with xenon's (incl automatic adjustment). All other versions have manual adjustable headlights.
It's really a good thing because you don't dazzle the other drivers when driving with more people or more cargo in your car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm from Denmark and my 2.0 Sport have autoadjustable xenons, with no possibility of doing it manually. Mine doesn't seem blue though, as i've seen with other xenon lights.

Regarding the autoadjustment, as they were default, when I got my M3 from the dealer, they were set at a very low angle, not allowing me to see anything beyond where the light is. Example: I can't see the reflexes on the road further ahead because of this. Somehow xenon lights are more restricted in their lighting apparently?

I've got them adjusted now, so they light up the road more, but now it looks like they are too high, although no one have given me a hint of this yet. But it is necessary to see the reflexes, so you now where the road is going :)

Otherwise, it is a great car, I love the handling, and the engine is very sweet redlining at appr. 7300 rpms :) A lot more than my former Peugeot 206 GTI which stopped at 6500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts