Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced additional revving of the car while it’s in idle? I’ve had the car for only 2 weeks and every once in a while when I’m sitting in a parking lot waiting for someone, the car will start idling quicker for a bit and then go back to normal idling speed. It usually doesn’t increase in RPMs by more than 250 RPMs so it is still below 1000 RPMs. It just seems odd that the car does this. It’s as if I was resting my foot slightly on the gas and then letting go and deciding to rest it again.

The car has done this since the day I bought it. When the car was idling outside after we finished the paperwork, I could hear it doing it’s additional revving while I was loading it with stuff from my trade-in (2001 Nogaro Blue Audi S4 – If it weren’t for astronomical maintenance I would still be driving it…) I asked the salesman about the revving and he said, “Oh yeah, that little putter? They all do that, that’s something the Speed 3s do.”

I’m wondering if I’m the only one with this problem and should take it to the dealer.

Btw, I’m also not sure if my rain sensing wipers are working correctly. I have the collar on the windshield wiper stick set to “Auto”. There was light drizzle yesterday and at some points was heavier but it never turned on. I don’t think anything’s covering the sensor above the rear view. Any thoughts?

Other than that, the car’s been great although I was hoping to coax better gas mileage out of it. I guess until I decide to stop taking advantage of boost it’ll be 24 mpgs as the norm since I do mostly highway miles. Getting a Clearshield Clearbra this Saturday and tint. Not looking forward to washing the car in this Wash DC weather but the Clearbra should work wonders with all my highway driving.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The ac condenser is almost always going off and on even if you don't have the ac on. That is probably what you are hearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what might trigger the AC condenser? Sometimes it seems like the "putter" just keeps coming and then other times at idle I can sit there for 5 min. and nothing happens. I guess what I'm saying is I don't always get the revving at idle and it only comes on occasion.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It happens when you have the air running even if its set to heat. The only way to stop it is set the air to come out of only the top vents. If it is set to the floor vents or defrost it will trigger the ac condenser. Its one of the annoying oddities of this car. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
yea its the AC compressor.. i did it a couple of times 2.. left it on by mistake... and car jumps around 250rpm to 500 rpm higher... u can definitely hear it with MS3 CBE :)

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=134752.msg2897763#msg2897763 date=1233237422]
It happens when you have the air running even if its set to heat. The only way to stop it is set the air to come out of only the top vents. If it is set to the floor vents or defrost it will trigger the ac condenser. Its one of the annoying oddities of this car. Nothing to worry about.
[/quote]

all the way on floor it shouldn't run A/C either. just when the defrost vents are going

·
Registered
505 Posts
"Btw, I’m also not sure if my rain sensing wipers are working correctly. I have the collar on the windshield wiper stick set to “Auto”. There was light drizzle yesterday and at some points was heavier but it never turned on. I don’t think anything’s covering the sensor above the rear view. Any thoughts?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a sensitivity control on the wiper stalk that you have to set. Turn all the way towards you is the most sensitive. Turned all the way away from you is the least sensitive. Mine is set a couple notches away from most sensitive most of the time. Yes, there will be times where you do not have the sensitivity set right and it will look like it is not working.

Light drizzle = turn to most sensitive

Med rain = back off couple notches

Downpour = set to always on

·
Registered
154 Posts
not sure what the relevance between the two is, but for some reason when my car is in it's smoking mood.. When the condenser turns on and the car ups its rev's is when the smoke starts spewing like crazy

·
Registered
568 Posts
[quote author=mackmittonz link=topic=134752.msg2897741#msg2897741 date=1233235889]
Other than that, the car’s been great although I was hoping to coax better gas mileage out of it. I guess until I decide to stop taking advantage of boost it’ll be 24 mpgs as the norm since I do mostly highway miles. Getting a Clearshield Clearbra this Saturday and tint. Not looking forward to washing the car in this Wash DC weather but the Clearbra should work wonders with all my highway driving.

[/quote]

Congrats. I have the Ventureshield Clear Bra and love it. It's a bit challenging to line up on the MS3 bumper, but a good installer should be able to do it no problem. Because of the rake on our nose, I highly suggest a 24" hood strip vs. the 18" strip. The car gets poorer fuel economy the first 800 miles or so. I just filled up at 1100 miles and got 310 miles to the tank (27 mpg's).

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=134752.msg2898208#msg2898208 date=1233250851]
[quote author=dread link=topic=134752.msg2897763#msg2897763 date=1233237422]
[/quote]

all the way on floor it shouldn't run A/C either. just when the defrost vents are going
[/quote]

No, the A/C runs on the 100% floor setting too.

The only settings the A/C doesn't run on are the top vent and 50/50 top/floor vent.

Most cars are setup like this, but they also usually have much more quiet exhaust so you don't notice it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It makes sense that the louder stock exhaust would make it more noticeable. I'm a little more used to the exhaust now but when I first got the car I thought it was almost like a droning sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts