Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a mazda 3s-touring two weeks ago. Is it possible to add the stock navigation system in if brought to mazda for installation? Additionally, can I have the HID lights that come with the grand touring installed???

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Anything can happen with $money$

I would recommend the Xtec kit from a sponser here on the forums for the HID lights
The cost would be about a fourth of the cost of haveing OEM put on

Then for NAVI i would point you to aftermarket mount ups, but if you really want OEM there is a harness plug in already in the dash so you can hook it up, you just need to buy the kit $1700-$2500 and remote and you are good to go... besides installation

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good to go, my a** haha...now i just need to find a job :p. thanks for the help. As for HID, would they be street legal and non-irritating if i go non-OEM?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not only do you need over $2500.00 in parts (not to mention labor) to add the Mazda NAV, you also need a different electrical harness. Someone on this board was looking into doing it, but it was going to be ridiculously cost prohibitive. The after market add on HID kits do throw out more glare because the projector housing is different between the models. There is no cheap way to convert to Mazda HID (again, many parts needed, and probably several thousand dollars). I don't know if the add on HID kits are actually legal. If they are, they will have a DOT number assigned to them. Lighting is a very particular area that is governed by federal standards, and also state/local regulations. If you don't have a state inspection station in the state you live in, I would go to the State Patrol headquarters and ask to speak with their expert.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
handheld/portable gps ftw!

it's cool to have the nice built in one with a huge screen, but for half the cost, you can have a superior Garmin portable unit that has more functions and can keep you from getting lost wherever you are, not just when your in your car.

just something to consider.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mazda3strng link=topic=66632.msg1143497#msg1143497 date=1168482152]
i just purchased a mazda 3s-touring two weeks ago. Is it possible to add the stock navigation system in if brought to mazda for installation? Additionally, can I have the HID lights that come with the grand touring installed???
[/quote]

Yes it's possible to do both, however both of them are very cost prohibitive. Parts alone for the NAV system are around $2,000 and the entire wiring harness in the dash has to be replaced, meaning you have to remove the entire dash board.

The HID light housings are about $800 each plus bulbs/ballasts, plus money for wiring and the switch if you want to try and get the levelers working. You can get an aftermarket kit for $200-400 and use that in your halogen projectors. It won't look as good as HIDs in HID projectors, but it'll still be better than halogen.

[quote author=mazda3strng link=topic=66632.msg1143581#msg1143581 date=1168485188]
good to go, my a** haha...now i just need to find a job :p. thanks for the help. As for HID, would they be street legal and non-irritating if i go non-OEM?
[/quote]

ALL aftermarket HID kits are illegal for on road use in the US. That being said the biggest problem with HID kits is that people put them in reflector headlights instead of being projectors where they should be, and the result is a great deal of glare. The halogen projectors on the 3 do a pretty good job of cutting off the extra light and not blinding people though so you most likely won't have a problem. If you get an aftermarket kit then just try and keep the ballasts hidden a bit so they're not obvious. Then if someone (inspector/cop) mentions that you have them point out that the 3 comes from the factory with HIDs... problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts