Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently got a '04 Mazda 3 and want to add some headrest monitors for the kids. The thing is that I want to keep the OEM headunit. It has a "Tape/MD" button. So my question is whether I can have the audio for the monitors routed to that button? A board member here had pictures of his headrest setup, and from the looks of it, he still had the stock HU.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "have the audio for the monitors routed to that button", but the factory headunit does not support video whatsoever. The best you'll be able to do is get an auxiliary input adapter (there are several threads around here that give you all the options) and have the audio play through the car's speakers. You could hook up whatever audio input you wanted, such as an iPod, DVD player, video game console, etc. Wired up properly, you'd be able to have a DVD player output video to the headrest monitors and audio to the car's stereo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying!

Is there a way to hook up the audio to the stock HU without having to add an aux input?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Maz3grl link=topic=139377.msg3009703#msg3009703 date=1237735404]
thanks for replying!

Is there a way to hook up the audio to the stock HU without having to add an aux input?
[/quote]

Well if you want the audio input to the HU then you need an input. Check the audio input thread in my sig., specifically the first section. I'd recommend the AuxMod, Grom, or PIE modules........ though if you want the TAPE/MD button to access the input you'd need to go with the AuxMod.

Also depending on your budget for this project you could look at replacing your HU with an aftermarket, or aftermarket OEM lookalike HU. There's currently a GB on a DVD/touchscreen HU with BT/SD/NAV for $800. It has controls for rear monitors that you can run from the HU itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts