Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one amp already hooked up for my sub it uses 4 gauge power wire from the battery and 4 gauge ground it is rated at 600 watts i believe.

I just bought a new amp for my door speakers. What will i need to just add the existing amp to the setup. I was thinking i could just get...

Distribution block , power wire ground wire, and speaker wire

Can I just put the distrubution block on the existing power line from the battery, split the power wire to the 2 differents amps. Then just ground the other amp and run the other wires to the head unit.

Will this be all i need?

Kicker Hyper-Flex 12 AWG Speaker Wire
12 Gauge S Series Hyper-Flex • Twister Pair Conductors • 20 ft. Spool

Lightning Audio Strike LSSDCRT4 Wire Terminal
Strike Series Platinum-Plated 4 Gauge Ring Terminal • Dual Outputs

Stinger Custom Pro SCPRO4B Power Wire
Custom Pro Translucent Brown 4 Gauge • 1666 Strands

Stinger Custom Pro SCPRO4R Power Wire
Custom Pro Translucent Red 4 Gauge • 1666 Strands

Stinger HPM Series Distribution Block
Platinum-Plated 4 Gauge • "T" Style

·
Registered
611 Posts
You could- you consider amperage when choosing cables though, not the wattage ;p
You can find the amps current draw in the manual probably, or just check what kind of fuses it has and call that the current draw. My sub amp pushing 460wRMS (800 peak) has a draw of about 45 amps. I figure on about a 13' run.

·
Registered
611 Posts
yes. you actually NEED to use the same grounding point for both of your amps. This prevents the formation of ground loop noise caused by grounding at different locations of the chasis- which can have different resistivities. Id guess your drawing about 80 amps then. My amp i mentioned is 2x 40amp fuses and specs out @ 43 amps of draw. I edited my first post to have the chart is was supposed to have had.

·
Registered
611 Posts
meh, 16g is quite sufficient in most cases. Theres no reason to not use 12g if you've already gotten it.... except if your running it into door panels its going to be a miserable experience. If this is for subs, then go for it- but maybe you could hit up a local stereo shop and try to get some of their scrap wire; no reason to get a 20 foot spool of wire if you only need 3 foot of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts