Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was on the phone and was doin about 45 50 and i accidentally put it into 1st instead of 3rd so when i disengauged the clutch, the motor jerked pretty hard and it didnt sound good. but it was sudden and i engauged the clutch right away after that.
So what type of damage could this have done motor on has about 350 miles. well any long term effects? Thanks for and info. :?:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
probably nothing too bad.

I'm assuming you were only at about 3-5000rpm when you shifted into first? I doubt there was any major damage or even minor damage.

Just see how it works out for the next few days. See if you can hear any weird sounds or anything.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Ummm rev limiters do absolutely nothing to protect you from a misshift. My brother missed a shift in my car and put it into 2nd instead of 4th, he hit 6900RPM for a second.

But it is simple mistakes like that a lot of people do and end up blowing their engine completely.

·
Registered
744 Posts
budgy said:
Ummm rev limiters do absolutely nothing to protect you from a misshift. My brother missed a shift in my car and put it into 2nd instead of 4th, he hit 6900RPM for a second.

But it is simple mistakes like that a lot of people do and end up blowing their engine completely.
Rev limiters kick in at 7000 RPMs most of the time, I hit mine a few times in first in my previous car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Rev limiter of the Mazda3 is set at 7100-7200 rpm (not at the red line).

The rev limiter cuts the fuel and as someone said, it can't do anything if you miss-shift because the crankshaft is mechanically connected to the wheels.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Are you sure it is set at 7100? Maybe it was in my head that I have bounced off my limiter before? I will go confirm this tonight for myself.

·
Registered
744 Posts
budgy said:
Are you sure it is set at 7100? Maybe it was in my head that I have bounced off my limiter before? I will go confirm this tonight for myself.
Sweet, that way I don't have to test it out on my car. :D

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I hit the rev limiter on the test drive. Its about 7500 or so... the fuel cuts off at 7600.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
What we really need is someone to dyno their car and take it to fuel cut off, just to see how much power we make in that territory, its funny that we hit "peak" horsepower right at our redline on the tachometer. I seriously thought the car got to speed a hell of a lot faster when I took it to 7000RPM, and if fuel cutoff is even higher then I might take it their tonight too. :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
budgy said:
What we really need is someone to dyno their car and take it to fuel cut off, just to see how much power we make in that territory, its funny that we hit "peak" horsepower right at our redline on the tachometer. I seriously thought the car got to speed a hell of a lot faster when I took it to 7000RPM, and if fuel cutoff is even higher then I might take it their tonight too. :D
From the dyno chart that is part of the "press kit". It doesn't look like there would be any gains after 6500rpm... The power starts to drop as it gets up to around 6000rpm. But I guess it might be useful when shifting as it might get you closer to the "sweet spot" when shifting pass 7000rpm....I have no clue.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Yah like most people seem to think our car starts to pull past 4500RPM, so if you can put yourself into a better spot in the powerband by shifting higher it would defenitely help. BTW, if peak horsepower is at 6500RPM I am sure we still make just as much past 6500RPM as anywhere else below it, no doubt in my mind you will get faster times by going to atleast 7000RPM.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah, speaking of doin stupid things while talking on the phone i grinded the sh*t out of 3rd gear @ about 50km/h (released the clutch before pushing into gate), i almost cried...

(did i hurt it that bad?)

·
Registered
234 Posts
may be I am wrong, but isn't it some manual can't shift to 1st gear when u driving at high speed to prevent engine damage???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts