Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the Accessport 1.03 + SF map claims a 6.6% hp gain and a 10% torque gain. I thought these numbers were on top of a completely stock car, but when I called Cobb they said that increase is in addition to, or on top of, the gain already made by the intake system. So can I except another 6.6% gain in addition to the gain from the SRI intake then??

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Out of all the mods I've done to my car...I noticed the biggest difference by simply putting the intake on.

Some people have dynoed and seend a 20hp difference with just an intake. So definatly get the intake.

Then when you add the AP...you are not tuning the engine...and getting about an additional 4 pounds of boost. So you will get a good little increase as well.

I personally wouldnt suggest the AP if you just have an intake. The gains arnt good enough to justify $700. HOwever, if you plan on doing much more then an intake (FMIC...exhaust..ect) then I would suggest getting the AP to not only gain more power...but so you can have it tuned to your mods...which is ALOT better then running 5 mods on the stock tune.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I put the SRI on when I first got the car, and it was a HUGE increase; It broke traction in 2nd gear just by gradually easing onto the gas.

So I guess the AP isn't going to be that much of an addition then?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
it is an increase...there is no doubt about that...but its not an increase worth $700.

You can do other things to your car first...like race/test pipe for example...before forkin up taht much cash.

But like I said...if you definatly plan on getting more mods in the future (FMIC/DP)...then go ahead and buy the AP. But if you are only gettin an intake...and thats it...dont get the AP.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I disagree completely. First of all the gains posted on cobb's site are conservative as they are based on a mustang dyno at high elevation. Second of all I have just an intake and AP and would highly recommend the combo. You get so much more than a flash with the ap including datalogging, virtual dyno, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, CEL reader and more power. With just an intake the car feels less responsive falls on its face at 5500 and is much less fun to drive. With the AP my car pulls to redline, has 18-19psi of boost (even in second gear) and flat out rips. It is also much more consistent in all weather conditions. No more loss of power in cold weather because the ecu reduces boost.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with dread. I have sri and turbo inlet... i got the ap 2 days ago and it pulls much harder. Plus all the extras you get with it..i think its a great deal. Like everyone says.. you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
lol the performance tests (dyno, 0-60, 1/4 mile) arnt even accurate. Its good you can chekc CELs...but when it comes to mointoring...you dont really have a reason to monitor stuff yet...all you have is an intake.

Like I said...you can spend alot less money and purchase other items that would benefit you alot more than the AP...like a test/race pipe...motor mount...shifter bushings...ect.

BUT if you have $700 burnin a hole in your pocket...go for it. Just know that the AP really shines when you start strapping on exhaust, intake, and FMIC/TMIC onto one car. THAT is when you get your full monies worth. But if you really want a lil computer thingy in your car THAT bad lol...it will still benefit you.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have the SRI and the SU mid pipe.  I don't plan on adding anymore bolt ons, so I was considering the AP as the next step b/c of it's low profile with the dealerships.  But I'll have to consider it.  Is everyone in agreement that the 6.6 percent gain is in addition to the gain from the intake then??

I rode in a friend's Porsche Cayman S today, and that car has about the same amount of power/weight as our car does (with some bolt ons), but man, the rear wheel drive in first and second really makes it feel like a stronger car because you aren't spinning the tires the whole time.  I think the speed feels more anemic than it should just b/c it can't put the power down until third gear. Maybe I just need new tires or something, but I can't seem to keep them from slipping. 

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Why would you pay $700 for an AP? You can find them pretty regularly for sale on here or other Mazda sites for less than $600 usually.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=sandman2 link=topic=137515.msg2967146#msg2967146 date=1235841922]
Well, I have the SRI and the SU mid pipe. I don't plan on adding anymore bolt ons, so I was considering the AP as the next step b/c of it's low profile with the dealerships. But I'll have to consider it. Is everyone in agreement that the 6.6 percent gain is in addition to the gain from the intake then??
[/quote]

I agree, yes, and I'll prove why. Just called my shop where I dyno'd, and asked them to pull the stock Speed3 dyno file they did with their car. It made 202whp on their low reading Dyno Dynamics dyno. I dyno'd my car on the same dyno, with intake, inlet, racepipe, and AP running beta v103 91oct and made 254whp. That's a 52whp peak gain over stock. The AP definately attributed to that. I would say probably 20hp. The final v103 93oct map is stronger, but it wasn't out at the time. Also, don't forget you gain more power and lots of torque throughout the powerband. Now, I have a TMIC, and will be getting a new dyno very soon. With the right map for my car, I'm hoping to make 265-270whp, which will put me over 300whp on a Dynojet. Buy a new AP, and if you don't like it, you can return it for a refund. I'll paypal you 20 bux if you return it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=137515.msg2966971#msg2966971 date=1235832831]
lol the performance tests (dyno, 0-60, 1/4 mile) arnt even accurate. Its good you can chekc CELs...but when it comes to mointoring...you dont really have a reason to monitor stuff yet...all you have is an intake.

Like I said...you can spend alot less money and purchase other items that would benefit you alot more than the AP...like a test/race pipe...motor mount...shifter bushings...ect.

BUT if you have $700 burnin a hole in your pocket...go for it. Just know that the AP really shines when you start strapping on exhaust, intake, and FMIC/TMIC onto one car. THAT is when you get your full monies worth. But if you really want a lil computer thingy in your car THAT bad lol...it will still benefit you.
[/quote]

Have you even used an ap on a stage 1+ car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts