Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

As I get closer to the end of my break-in period (currently at 965kms, only 35 to go), I've been revving the car up to 5000 or 6000RPM at the last 3 minutes of my trip to work.

I find that the low-end acceleration on the GT still isn't the greatest. High-end output is wonderful though

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dont feel much power until I reach about 3.5k RPM's. Then at about 4.5K I feel the VVT kick in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
man, I am still under 500 miles on mine. I would love to open it up, but I am trying to keep it under 4k or so. I am trying to cycle it through the rev range, but not at WOT.

Cant wait to hit that 800-900 mi range so I can let it rip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Erv187 said:
I dont feel much power until I reach about 3.5k RPM's. Then at about 4.5K I feel the VVT kick in.
AGREED. I get the most g-force action right around 4500RPM, anything below that mark is adequate. Although, a little more torque on the low end would be nice :D .

Spencer

·
Registered
947 Posts
Looking at the Dyno Chart of the 2.3, torque is about 112ft-lb at 1000RPMs. It goes up to 135ft-lb at 2000RPMs, which is within 10% of the peak. It only climbs by 5ft-lb to 140 at 3000, but by 4000 it is nearly 150lb-ft and holds it until 5000 where it starts to fall off. It falls to about 130lb-ft by redline. So from 2000 to about 6200RPMs, this engine puts out over 90% of its peak torque. And its torque peak is at 4500RPMs, which explains why you guys feel the most joy at that point.

Anyway, I think S-VT is there all the time, there is no sudden change of engine characteristic ala Honda's VTEC. The variable induction system, however, probably has an "on/off" type effect. In either case, I think the benefits of the two systems probably starts at somewhere between 3K to 3.5K. I'd be really surprised if it starts later than that.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right-on.

Thank ya LeeLee! That's excellent information to know. :wink:

Now I'll have more of an expectation/anticipation of where my peak torque will kick in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
just hit 1000km today!
of course the weather sucks and the roads are snowy, so cant really let her rip just yet...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats

That's awesome.

Yeah, the salt is just laying on the road and not melting anything. Maybe you'll have a chance this Saturday when it hits -2.

Don't forget to get your oil changed soon. The build-up of engine materials is worst when the engine is broken-in.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i agree i think we need somem ore low end vooomp..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Congrats

factrzero said:
That's awesome.

Yeah, the salt is just laying on the road and not melting anything. Maybe you'll have a chance this Saturday when it hits -2.

Don't forget to get your oil changed soon. The build-up of engine materials is worst when the engine is broken-in.
Wait until the prescribed 8000Km oil change mark. My dealer confirmed this fact, and it is also stated in the owners manual.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

bee04M3S said:
factrzero said:
That's awesome.

Wait until the prescribed 8000Km oil change mark. My dealer confirmed this fact, and it is also stated in the owners manual.
Correct.

·
Registered
164 Posts

bee04M3S said:
do you have any specific reason? im sure it wouldnt hurt (and might even be beneficial) to do it earlier, i wanted to do mine right after break-in
i dont know for sure, just wanted to know your thoughts as to why waiting is better...

·
Registered
272 Posts
do you have any specific reason? im sure it wouldnt hurt (and might even be beneficial) to do it earlier, i wanted to do mine right after break-in
i dont know for sure, just wanted to know your thoughts as to why waiting is better...
I send an email to Mazda (asking if it could hurt in changing the oil early), they told me to follow the owner manual but they can't give me any specific reason.

·
Registered
882 Posts
No reason to doubt them. I followed those guidelines with my Pro5 and had nary a problem. Today's engines aren't like the old boat anchors we had before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Changing the oil in your car more frequently never hurts it either. Remember oil gets dirty over time, that's the reason we change it. They just don't want you to go ever the recommended changing period.
Drag racers will change the oil in their cars after every run to ensure the best possible performance. I'm changing it after 1k, 5k, and then I'm going to follow the recommended change of every 5k miles (I don't plan on beating on my car, so it won't need to be changed more often).
For example just because you can get away with taking a shower once a week doesn't mean you should (take it as, you can shower everyday and it won't hurt).

·
Registered
272 Posts
For example just because you can get away with taking a shower once a week doesn't mean you should (take it as, you can shower everyday and it won't hurt).
we are not talking about how often to change the oil, we are talking about the FIRST oil change where you replace the factory oil with something else.

Honda, VW, Audi recomment NOT to change too earlier the oil because the factory oil is appropriately chosen for the "break-in" period, whatever that means.

I submit my question here, and nobody so far is able to tell me what kind of factory oil is in the Mazda3. Hence my email to Mazda. They confirm me only for one thing: the factory oil is 5W-20 (as recommened in the manual for subsequent oil changes).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts