so i have a 2012 mazda 3 2.5l Hatchback
and i recently bought a pulley from mazda parts outlet (part number :

[TR]
[TD]
BFD1-61-L10)​
[/TD]
[/TR]

and the pulley is way smaller than the oem pulley by about an inch
would it still work considering the belt might have to be changed for a smaller one? and if so, what size belt would be the right fit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking at parts diagrams the part number you have is not the correct part. It says 2012 3 with a 2.5l but the description only says 2.5l turbo or 2.0 skyactiv. BBN2-61-L10A appears to be the part you are looking for.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You need to get the correct pulley. Even if you could figure out a belt that would fit the smaller one, the result would be that the compressor will be spinning much faster than with the correct pulley, and theoretically this could damage it of other parts of your AC system.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The smaller pullies will not cause damage to an AC compressor on an engine that is driven for daily use.
There are several platforms that the engine run normally in the 3500-4000 rpm range @65mph all day long. AC Compressor (not R12 conversions) from about 1995 running on R134a can run up to *8000-10000 rpm. Which in a daily driver would almost never come close to.

It is not uncommon in the performance world to change AC Compressor pullies both larger and smaller and as far as I am aware I have never seen any abnormal number of seized AC Compressors due to running them at *High RPM's .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts