1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've always sworn by ABS. Some of my friends don't like it because they like to fishtail and the like... I think the safety is a more than even trade.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ABS is awesome in the wet... but i'd love to have a switch to turn them off for snow and gravel driving... guess i need to get an early 90s Audi to have an ABS cancel switch :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Why would you want to turn them off for snow? I thought they were specifically designed for slippery conditions, so you don't lock the wheels when you break, or have to pump them on snow.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
In a lot of snow (say 5"+), locking the front wheels builds up snow that stops the car faster in a straight line.

This MUST be fresh snow though untouched by many cars. Anything slushy and ABS is still the way to go.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know the solution for 5"+ driving... move out of the goddam central region and come to sunny Vancouver!! :) We get like 5" per year out here unless you adventure up to the mountains.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You crazy?

Out of Ontario or Quebec?

No way! Folks out west (MB,SK,AB) are WAY too conservative. I find Toronto and Montreal not enough "open-minded" and European.

Vancouver? Probably #4 on my list after Ottawa.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The first time I experienced ABS was last week in my mom's new Outback Sport. I was slowing down on slightly packed down/slushy snow and I heard 3 pulse-type noises and barely felt anything. Aside from the odd noise, they performed well. But my mom did have one of those "disapproving" looks on her face after I stopped :) I thought to myself " Cool, this what ABS is like". I will get ABS on my MZ3, because I tend to "slam", not pulse my brakes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dinu01 said:
You crazy?

Out of Ontario or Quebec?

No way! Folks out west (MB,SK,AB) are WAY too conservative. I find Toronto and Montreal not enough "open-minded" and European.

Vancouver? Probably #4 on my list after Ottawa.
I'll concede that we're not European. But as for open minded, they don't call it the left coast for nothing.

Come out for a weekend in April, we'll ski Whister on Saturday and golf Furrey Creek on Sunday. Not very many places you can do that. :lol:

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was riding in my roommate's Passport and his brakes went out, but the ABS kicked on and it felt and heard like running over the rumble bumps in the road that notify to slow down. It scared the shit of us. He stopped braking and pulled the parking brake cause he didn't know what it was.

Needless to say, I would like to take a car out on a track where I can practice with ABS on dry, wet, and snow pavement.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I suspect that my ABS in the P5 never worked. I got to experience mine in the mz3 the first day I bought it (and ever since). Needless to say, I was quite impressed - although it's going to be hard to shake the desire to "pump" the pedal.

We have a lot of piss poor drivers in California.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I got to experience mine in the mz3 the first day I bought it (and ever since).
Serious? In CA no less? I haven't had it go on yet (though the wheels have never locked) and its been in pretty heavy rain and snow in NY.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, I had some drunk pull out smack dab in front of me from a semi-blind drive. I was not happy at first, but when I realized that the required safety features worked in the new car - well... Let's just say I was very pleased.

Now if I can just get this damn ignition problem fixed.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Actually, it would have been about 5 hours. :)

But I'm happy to say that is only 20 days I'm already sitting at 918 miles. It's fun to zoom-zoom!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Now if I can just get this damn ignition problem fixed.
I just got mine back from the dealer for that cold start ignition issue (comes and goes). Had to leave the car overnight for them to test this morning (but they were able to replicate the problem at least). The diagnostic job they performed on it had a code 30MAZ and they said they ordered a part to be replaced sometime next week. In the meantime I have the car to drive around, but I'm weary about doing that with a part on order.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Do you know what part they ordered, or any idea what diagnostic code 30MAZ is?

At least that gives me a headstart on Saturday morning when I go back in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts