Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to decide if the ABS package is worth the $800. The only car I've ever owned that has been equipped with ABS is the one I'm driving currently ('97 Dodge Intrepid) and the few times ABS has kicked in it actually seems to have triggered the slide and made it worse (this is in the snow).

I've heard the that the Mz3 has fairly good brakes and I'm a driver who likes to be in control at all times. I'm not to keen on the car "taking over" for me. However, it's a safety feature more and more common on cars as of late.

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the issue...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think of ABS/airbag package this way, If your an excellent driver you shouldn't ever need them. They're for all the other idiots that cut you off; run red lights; etc. True sometimes they kick in on slick roads but potential positives out-weigh the negs, IMHO.

Also, If I'm not mistaken it should lower your insurance rates. Can anyone verify that. The cost savings may cancel out the initial outlay.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ABS is a godsend. Last night night I almost T-boned a car because I hit a real slick spot that almost sent me sailing into an intersection. I could really feel the ABS at work, and managed to save myself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was jsut looking at the texas insurance commission (or whatever it is) website last night and yes, ABS (along with airbags, foglamps, and daytime running lights) can get you insurance discounts.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I think the ABS/SAB/SAC package is a good deal for $800. If it was just ABS for $800 then I wouldn't be that good of a deal, but I would still get it. I am the type of driver that "slams"/ constant pressure on the brakes in quick braking situations and the ABS affords shorter stoppings distances in most situations.

I am having a hard time trying to find a Mz3 auto equipped with the ABS package, sport pkg, and 6 Cd/moonroof pkg only. Either the xenon/TPS is added to the cars, or their is no ABS package on cars but their is 6CD, sport pkg. I am willing to spend the extra 700 on the Xenon/TPS to get the ABS pkg., but I will not get a car without it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wouldn't let anyone drive my car w/o ABS...it's a must for half-ass drivers!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Agree with the others that ABS is a great feature. Also as one commenter indicated, you can get a little off your insurance rates with ABS/Air bags.

Kevin

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MGB said:
I was jsut looking at the texas insurance commission (or whatever it is) website last night and yes, ABS (along with airbags, foglamps, and daytime running lights) can get you insurance discounts.
Any hard numbers on the type of discount? Are we talking 5% or less or what?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is a handy little brochure about texas insurance, I'm not sure how much laws change from state to state.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/consumer/consum86.html

According to that, in Texas ABS discount changes from company to company, so I guess you'd have to ask around.
On a related note, Airbags drop 15% off of medical payments and personal injury protection. Your guess is as good as mine about whether the SAB/SAC discount any more than normal front AB.

*edit*
On further inspection, the ABS discount is optional, so here in Texas at least I guess the insurance company isn't required to provide the discount. And it looks like I just made up the foglamp bit, cause I can't find those referenced anywhere.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Interestingly enough,the ABS fad has worn off. For quite some time all cars came with ABS standard. It was a godsend. However, now many cars are not eqquiped fromn the factory stock. I'm sure some of it is due to the added income of making it a package. However, I think the true importance of ABS has slowly disappeared to another feature on the list. I persaonlly like it, but got the packge also for the airbags.

I am having a hard time trying to find a Mz3 auto equipped with the ABS package, sport pkg, and 6 Cd/moonroof pkg only. Either the xenon/TPS is added to the cars, or their is no ABS package on cars but their is 6CD, sport pkg. I am willing to spend the extra 700 on the Xenon/TPS to get the ABS pkg., but I will not get a car without it.
Take a gander at my sig. All I wanted was a Black Mica S w/AT, Sunroof, and ABS. Dur to availablity at the time, because everything was due in in Mid January, I wound up with the following car. Although I don't mind the extras, I could have done without the added expense. Only choice in NJ as the time were the one I bought, or a 3S w/sport and sunroof, no ABS. So I took this one.

Craig

·
Registered
656 Posts
ABS on new cars have progressively become much better. You cannot simply compare your '97 Intrepids' ABS w/ '04 Mazda3's.
Hope this helps.
ABS is a must, and i am glad that more and more cars have them these days.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
LOL, just saw an episode of Initial-D, wouldn't mind not getting ABS so I could those drift manuvers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just thought I'd throw in my opinion since it seems to be different than everyone else's.

I've had one car with ABS. A WRX. On totally dry roads, if I hit a very tiny pothole just the right way and one wheel raised a bit, the ABS would kick in. The problem with that was that while the ABS was attempting to work I had no control over the brakes. The brakes would feel mushy and the distance it took the car to stop would increase a lot.

This would occasinally cause me to end up stopping in the middle of an intersection, right in front of oncoming traffic. So I ended up removing the fuse for the ABS. I believe that this was a problem specific to Subarus...but Subaru never acknowledged it being an issue. I traded in my WRX, and that was one of the reasons why.

Anyways, maybe the 3's ABS is totally different. But personally, that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
563 Posts
ABS worked beautifully this evening in the snow/ice.

And BTW, the RSA's did fine IMO as well. With all the complaingin I heard, I expected to be riding on ice. And actually, I was, it was the road. THe tires spun a few times under hard acceleration, but once they bit, they pulled me fine.

That's all.

Craig

·
Registered
267 Posts
The difference in the ABS on the Mazda3 and older cars. Older cars, the ABS only fired once every second or two. This leaves an entire second of skidding and then another second (or so) of no brakes. The Mazda3 ABS fires many times every second. (I'd guess 20 times a second). This means it is doing its job the way ABS was intended. And if you slip in a pothole, the ABS will kick-in for a few milliseconds then let you continue braking as usual on the other side of the pothole.

Also, I believe the Mazda3 has independent ABS for each wheel... this is handy since its usually only one or two wheels slipping in the weird conditions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i bought it without the ABS, and i found out from State Farm insurance that it has no effect on the price of my insurance. So far, in the snow, I've had no problem. I consider myself a good driver, and I don't think I've ever had to slam the brakes, so I'm not so worried about it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Since I've experienced the ABS in my 3, I'll never go back to anything without.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Abs yes

i'd say that the abs has saved me from an accedent due to having the 17" low profile tires i'm not used to two times this winter.

I'm uncertain wheter the abs package is as up to date as other modern packages. I was told (by an Acura dealer) the newer technology you don't "feel" it kick in. This could be total BS or not, but i definatly feel vibrations when it kicks in.

on another note, i just got my insurance bill and i was quoted a higher semi=annual than if i got a mazda 6

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
u were prolly quoted a higher semi annual becuz they know nothing about the car whereas the 6 has all these 5 star crash tests etc....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts