Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 hatch that has been a great car. I'm planning on keeping it a while and so after a lot of research have decided that the problem I'm having is a bad TCM. I bought a rebuilt one off Ebay and I'm getting ready to try to replace it on my own. I'm just a fair mechanic and wondering if any of you have an major warnings or suggestions of things that might go wrong or things I might screw up? I'm planning on moving the TCM to an alternate spot near the brake lines to keep the TCM cooler than when it is bolted to the tranny. That is something the seller of the TCM recommended. I'm assuming and hope that the factory wiring is long enough so that doesn't become an issue?

Thanks, I'll let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I installed the refurbed unit that I purchased from Module Repair in CA. Their service to me was A+. Speed of delivery, packaging were all exemplary. They even included some helpful drawings and directions. I watched a number of videos before attempting the job. It wasn't hard but still took me 2.5 hours. There were a couple of bolts and screws that weren't easy to get to and it took me some time to figure out how to take apart the battery box. If I had it to do it all over again I'm sure I could easily knock an hour off the install time now that I know how to do it.
Now....did it work? I was a little apprehensive to turn the key.....hoping I wouldn't have to red-do something or start all over, but no problem!!! It shifts like brand-new! I have driven with it twice for a total of 25 miles and there are no issues at all. This problem started the last week of February and has steadily grown worse since then. It took me a while to diagnose it, do my research, order the part, etc. But thankfully that is all behind me. If you're not a mechanic AT ALL...then I wouldn't recommend you try it on your own. At least have a buddy there to help point out some things and led you a hand if needed. Also, I encourage you to watch multiple videos on YouTube before you do the job....they were most helpful! Last, like some videos suggested (as well as the guy who sold me the unit) I did not put the TCM back in it's original position where the transmission heat seems to be a real issue...instead I zip tied it to the brake lines as indicated in the direction that were supplied. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the refurbed unit that I purchased from Module Repair in CA. Their service to me was A+. Speed of delivery, packaging were all exemplary. They even included some helpful drawings and directions. I watched a number of videos before attempting the job. It wasn't hard but still took me 2.5 hours. There were a couple of bolts and screws that weren't easy to get to and it took me some time to figure out how to take apart the battery box. If I had it to do it all over again I'm sure I could easily knock an hour off the install time now that I know how to do it.
Now....did it work? I was a little apprehensive to turn the key.....hoping I wouldn't have to red-do something or start all over, but no problem!!! It shifts like brand-new! I have driven with it twice for a total of 25 miles and there are no issues at all. This problem started the last week of February and has steadily grown worse since then. It took me a while to diagnose it, do my research, order the part, etc. But thankfully that is all behind me. If you're not a mechanic AT ALL...then I wouldn't recommend you try it on your own. At least have a buddy there to help point out some things and led you a hand if needed. Also, I encourage you to watch multiple videos on YouTube before you do the job....they were most helpful! Last, like some videos suggested (as well as the guy who sold me the unit) I did not put the TCM back in it's original position where the transmission heat seems to be a real issue...instead I zip tied it to the brake lines as indicated in the direction that were supplied. Good luck!
Can you describe the behaviour of your AT fault, the diagnosis you performed and the conclusion of that (which led to identifying TCM as problem)??
Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts