Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't really tell by looking, but is it absolutely necessary to remove the bumper to take out the headlight assembly in order to swap the bulbs in my stock HID's? I have removed the bumper once before, but would prefer not to again if possible b/c it was a major PITA.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
From my experience, halogens yes, you can get back there. OEM HIDs, next to impossible to get inside there to access the bulbs. The OEM HIDs seem to sit a bit further in and the opening to access is slightly smaller then the halogen setups.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer, that's not what I was hoping to hear.

I replaced my high beams without removing anything & that was tough (I have pretty good sized hands). I don't see how in the hell anyone could replace the HID's without removing the headlight assembly, there's literally NO room.

Oh well, now I either have to find a heated garage, or wait till April b/c replacing those bulbs might take a while.

·
Registered
801 Posts
To remove headlight assy, you don't have to remove bumper entirely. Well, it's not much energy saving, but still helps me lots everytime I remove headlight assy.

My friend's site. He has hatch back but it worked on my sedan as well.
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/200156/car/277855/545951/note.aspx

Normally, you need to remove following screws to remove bumper
2 clips and 2 screws on grill.
5( center undercover)+3(front part of mud guard)x2(R&L)=11 tapping screws on undercover and front part of mud guard
and peel front mud guard( 3 bottom screw clips each side) to access bumper side screws.

but with this way, you can omit 5 screws on undercover and hang bumper like 2nd picture in the link.
This will make enough space to remove headlight assy. Make sure you cover the edge of the bumper to prevent scracthing on headlight lens, fender...etc..

·
Registered
113 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts