Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I made my decision... I probably won't be getting a Mazda 3 anymore! :cry:

This decision was taken after discussing it over with my dad and really thinking about the 100+ reply’s from most of you who where urging me not to do it. I really do appreciate it by the way!

Therefore my current plan is to repair my 93’ Protégé ($300) and sell it for around $4000. After the car is sold I should be signing papers for a 2000-2001 Toyota Celica GT…!

The only thing that would make me change my mind is an extremely good deal on a 3year lease for the Sport GT. If not. The ‘3’ will remain a dream. For now…

I would like to finish up by saying that I won’t be spending much time on this forum anymore unless I somehow end up with the ‘3’. I also wanted to thank everyone here for the great support, information and advice!

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(

Of course many here would love to see another Mazda3 owner , but if it makes sense financially to buy something else, then people will definitely understand/support you.

If have a friend who bought a used 99 Maxima almost two years ago, and is starting to regret his decision to buy such an "expensive" car. He has to pay about $380 USD/ month, and is struggling to make on time payments combined with his other expenses. This is all he talks about when I see him, how maintenance expenses are too much combined with a car payment. At least you have the knowledge to know when you would be taking on too much. You could certainly do worse than a Celica :)

Hopefully, you can find a great lease on a Mazda3; if not good luck with your car :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will be missing your posts and also your avatar !!! Even though it still gives me the creeps !! Good luck to you and your celica...my buddy has one it's a 2001 GT awesome car. See ya

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
awww... Sycho, you're leaving?! After all the fun we had on this board?! :D

Actually, I may be in the same boat as you. May probably end up with no Mazda 3 cuz I simply can't afford one. 450 a month + 300 for insurance = 750 dollars a month. I don't even make that much right now o_O...

But yeah, stay on this board Sycho. I love how this board is so friendly :) Dinu, MZ6ZoomZoom, csweeney, and everyone else :) If I end up with another car, I'll just drop by this board to blab about the nothing.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the last generation celica are sweet. I would take it over the 3 I think because I can save money on it and won't miss out on the fun. Good luck to you. :p

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sycho, I did a quick search on the Celica GT.
Used prices are about 18-22k... isn't that the same prices as the Mazda 3?

(I'm sure you'll be able to find better private deals like 16k or something... but yeah... just thought I'd let you know.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can't go wrong with the celica, it's an awesome car. I'm actually doing the opposite. I'm getting rid of my Celica GT-S for a Mazda3. I love my celica, but I've got another baby on the way so I need something with an attempt at a back seat with 4 doors. I'll definately miss the handling and exterior/interior styling of the celica. The cock-pit interior is awesome. She has 100k Miles now, no problems at all. Get an injen intake, it sounds awesome. Good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You've made the right decision. It is pointless to have a good car when you are in college because kids your age have no respect for other people's property and you'll probably end up with a ton of dents by the time you graduate. But don't dream about the "3", you are aiming too low! Dream about a BMW M3. You'll get there one day! Best wishes. :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I'm glad we could help, even though we won't see you in a 3.

Not sure abour reliability (don't assume it's stellar just b.c it's a Toyota please), but 1999 and 2000 Celicas can be had for MUCH less than the 18K someone posted earlier. Check www.autotrader.ca

Good luck with everything and drop by whenever you feel like.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear that you won't be in a 3 but the Celicas are quite nice too. My best friend drives one and we plan to take the cars to the track this summer and race!

Good second choice!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
sell the protege
take the bus until you can afford a 3

by that time, they'll probably have a remote trunk release.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My 3 5-door is costing me $271 per month. Total the car with interest cost me $21,500. Why would you have to pay $350 per month. I got everything in mine except the HIDs and Navi.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
dinu01 said:
I'm glad we could help, even though we won't see you in a 3.

Not sure abour reliability (don't assume it's stellar just b.c it's a Toyota please), but 1999 and 2000 Celicas can be had for MUCH less than the 18K someone posted earlier. Check www.autotrader.ca

Good luck with everything and drop by whenever you feel like.
That was me who posted earlier ;)
I was looking off buysell.com and was looking at 2000s and 2001s.

Let us know what happens, Sycho!

My 3 5-door is costing me $271 per month. Total the car with interest cost me $21,500. Why would you have to pay $350 per month. I got everything in mine except the HIDs and Navi.
I believe we're talking about Canadian dollars. 271 dollars would be a steal over here... until you convert the currency :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Take it ez

I totally agree with the college style.

I drove a 1995 Toyota Tercel and a 1996 Honda Civic during my 3 years in community college (2000-2003). They both got tooled up in the parking lot.

They were great on gas, had decent reliability - I didn't have to take my mind off studies much to keep up with the car. 'twas great.

Now that I'm working full-time, I bought a 3 to celebrate my "coming-to-be". I'm lovin' it!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm currently driving a 1985 Corolla around. Reliable also :)

I'm hoping that it won't die out for atleast another while. Otherwise, that'll put a huge strain on my finances, and also convenience of getting around. (The bus system is not very good in my area. It takes me 1 hour 20 minutes to bus up to school [possibly 2 hours if I have to take the emergency route]) or 25 minutes to drive).

So I'm lovin' my Corolla for now. Hopefully it'll be Mazdaspeed 3 later on :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry to hear there won't be another new 3 owner, but you've made the right decision. Besides, 3,4 years will fly by in no time, & when you have a good, steady income you'll enjoy your new car so much more. The Celica GT will be loads of fun (maybe even more than a 3 :D ) but do check out the insurance rates first. The ins for a 2-dr sporty coupe here in the GTA costs an arm & leg!

Off-topic:
dugrant153 said:
So I'm lovin' my Corolla for now. Hopefully it'll be Mazdaspeed 3 later on :)
Saw an ad last Thursday/Friday, & one dealer in the west end (I think, sorry don't remember the name) was advertising 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Pro for $22K! Another great deal is the 2003 P5 - now going for $18K. Don't mean to sidetrack anyone from a 3, but these are pretty good deals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts