Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can happen when you don't lube the o-ring for your oil filter? Even worse, what can happen when that o-ring cracks and you drive your car with no oil?

This:

Just below the oil pressure switch, that is the rod poking through the block.

This is out of an '08 Nissan Sentra MR20 engine. A simple "do-it-yourself" oil change can end up costing you nearly $6k so learn from this guy's mistake and pay extra close attention when working on your car...even for the simple oil changes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah, I've seen botched oil changes, and a few botched brake jobs.

You really DONT NEED TO LUBE THE O-RING cause the oil left over on the block from removing the old filter is plenty. This is only true when replacing the oil filter right after removing the old one.
This guy must have waited a while and the oil dried up.

And Ive never seen a cracked oil filter o-ring. Do you think that oil filter might have been really old?

And one would want to replace the oil filters right away, otherwise one may forget to put it back on.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not certain what the owner of the vehicle did. I just know it had about a 5mm gap in the o-ring. He very well may have taken it off and attempted to reuse it, though. The filter did look beat all to hell. I have a picture of the filter but the quality is shite...you can't see the crack at all.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
What brand filter was that? Looks kinda like a carquest.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one in the picture is an OEM Nissan filter. That was not on the car at the time of the failure, though. It had an aftermarket filter of the black variety. I forget the brand.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Which brings up yet another question. Why'd you throw an OEM filter back on it after the tossed rod? :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=137709.msg2969045#msg2969045 date=1235940575]
Which brings up yet another question. Why'd you throw an OEM filter back on it after the tossed rod? :lol:
[/quote]

Helping the guy out with warranty? :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the motor was in the car, it's hard to see that the side of the block. I thought maybe if I could add some oil, another filter, and crank the motor a few revolutions by hand, it might crank up negating the need to push the car into the shop (I'm lazy) :lol:

And it was definately not warranty :)

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. I've only seen a Saturn able to start up with a tossed rod and a massive hole in the block. Damn thing surprised me, ran for like 30 minutes before it finally died.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts