Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on mounting tweeters on or near the A-pillars. I did some experimenting with tweeter locations and some of the best sounding places for them are there. With the airbags there, I just don't know if it is a "sound " idea to put them there.

·
Registered
611 Posts
it'll be fine- the only negative result will be that theyre gunna rip the wires and likely destroy the tweeters and possibly smack you in the face if the bags deploy. maybe post up a pic of where you plan on putting the tweeter and a pic w/ the a pillar off to see whats immediately behind it?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
When the air bags deploy the pillar should only release on one side (towards the door if I'm not mistaken) so that they get pushed up against the windshield. As long as the wiring to the tweeters doesn't get in the way of the airbag deployment then I think the only problem would come from if the tweeter kept the panel from being pushed completely out of the way. You certainly wouldn't be able to flush mount the tweeter there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I have CDT DRT-26 1" tweets that I want to mount low on the A-pillar. Is there anything special I need to do to take off the A-pillars? None of my previous cars had airbags there, so I am trying to make sure I am careful and thorough before I do anything.

·
Registered
611 Posts
[quote author=lllsyruplll link=topic=66516.msg1141130#msg1141130 date=1168376483]
ive had my sidebags deploy..the bag actually comes out from under the headliner area..the a pilar was virtually unaffected

[/quote]

makes sense if the only thing under the a-pillar is the charge-canister. I've never had mine off so I dont know whats actually under there. lol.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Muzikal-JRNE link=topic=66516.msg1141108#msg1141108 date=1168375953]
Thanks for the info. I have CDT DRT-26 1" tweets that I want to mount low on the A-pillar. Is there anything special I need to do to take off the A-pillars? None of my previous cars had airbags there, so I am trying to make sure I am careful and thorough before I do anything.
[/quote]

-Open the door
-grab the black weather stripping and pull it away from the frame
-Slide the pillar cover up and pull towards the center of the car.

There are maybe three clips on the middle/lower part of the post that have to be pulled inwards to release, and there's one piece at the top that you have to slide up. It comes off pretty easily..... putting it back on is the hard part.

[quote author=lllsyruplll link=topic=66516.msg1141130#msg1141130 date=1168376483]
ive had my sidebags deploy..the bag actually comes out from under the headliner area..the a pilar was virtually unaffected

[/quote]

Good to know... I suppose that might just be the charge canister afteral...... It did look like an air bag though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts