Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering...

Did the Mazda engineers plan to make that 6th gear an overdrive or what? I mean... there's SO much power on that gear that I don't even need to downshift to pass somebody on the highway; and at 75-80 mph down the road the RPMS stay in 3k :shock:

Maybe a 7th gear will bring them down to 2.5k, below the turbo threshold?

Can that be done?? Would it be wise?

Needless to say.. I'm a NOOB :lol:

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
um, no a 7th gear isn't possible, for a LOT of reasons. You could change the ratio on 6th if you wanted (but it would be a big fall off), if anyone decides to offer one, wasn't there someone who offered a new 5th gear ratio for the regular 3's a while ago?

For reference, an overdrive gear is technically just a gear that has a ratio smaller than 1:1, I'm pretty sure the MS3 6th gear IS an overdrive gear

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I am pretty sure the Ms3 5th adn 6th gears are overdrive gears. The engine just has a ridiculous amount of power.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
5th gear is not an overdrive gear..the ratio is 1.09...6th is though with a ratio of .85. welcome to the world of stupid amounts of torque.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
whats the final drive on the ms3?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=67188.msg1154077#msg1154077 date=1169050840]
5th gear is not an overdrive gear..the ratio is 1.09...6th is though with a ratio of .85. welcome to the world of stupid amounts of torque.
[/quote]

So that's what it is! :lol:
Too much torque! Wait wait... that's what I bought this car for.. GIMME SOME MORE!

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=67188.msg1154039#msg1154039 date=1169049919]
um, no a 7th gear isn't possible, for a LOT of reasons. You could change the ratio on 6th if you wanted (but it would be a big fall off), if anyone decides to offer one, wasn't there someone who offered a new 5th gear ratio for the regular 3's a while ago?[/quote]

Yep, NSN Motorsports. Here's the thread...
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=47528.0

Inexpensive, easy install, relaxed cruise ... I wanna do it. :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=67188.msg1154077#msg1154077 date=1169050840]
[/quote]

It sort of is. While the gear ratio is still over 1, since the final drive gear changes to 3.35, 5th would be equivalent to a .92 gear with the original 3.94 final drive ratio....just depends on how you look at it.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
hahaha this is funny. all these aftermarket mods. you have to be careful messing with the gears/engine like that.
Keep in mind that when they were making this car, they did some things for a reason.

When you are making mods, its reverse engineering. The chances of screw up are high. You don't know the exact list of parts / performance parameters you will affect. For example. reflash the ECU, and now ten different components are affected, but you thought only one was affected....1 year from now, things will start breaking.

you see how packed the engine space is ??? there is no room.
MAzda had to trade size for space and weight for speed. Its not as clear cut as people make it.

My rule of thumb is: Mod it only if you understand it inside out and upside down.
MY list of mods for now is: COBB (maybe), Catback, CAI, wheels /225's + work on looks.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=67188.msg1155904#msg1155904 date=1169138490]
hahaha this is funny. all these aftermarket mods. you have to be careful messing with the gears/engine like that.
Keep in mind that when they were making this car, they did some things for a reason.

When you are making mods, its reverse engineering. The chances of screw up are high. You don't know the exact list of parts / performance parameters you will affect. For example. reflash the ECU, and now ten different components are affected, but you thought only one was affected....1 year from now, things will start breaking.

you see how packed the engine space is ??? there is no room.
MAzda had to trade size for space and weight for speed. Its not as clear cut as people make it.

My rule of thumb is: Mod it only if you understand it inside out and upside down.
MY list of mods for now is: COBB (maybe), Catback, CAI, wheels /225's + work on looks.

[/quote]

You're right, or so I think. There's no room in the engine compartment at ALL.
Bottom line.. my only mods are going to be NEON lights :)
I know NOTHING about mods and plan on NOT messing with aftermarket unless I know exactly what I'm doing... or Mazda reveals their own Mazdaspeed parts for the Speed3: This should be in any minute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts