Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, never tinted a car so i know nothing about it... i am thinking about tinting the 3 when i get it, just wondering a few things:

70% is legal here in NY state, i want to go for a uniformed tint around the whole car, if i tinted it out 70% all around would it even be noticable/worth it? would i be able to pull off a 50 or 60% tint w/o getting harrassed by cops, what i'm asking is would there be a really noticable difference between 50 and 70%?

Also, I've been looking around ny/long island for a good tinter, so if anyone knows one please suggest, I found one website and posted on their messagebard how much it would cost to tint and they quoted 175 (not sure what brand, % of tint, and what windows that covers, or if the prices changes based on those things) this is a decent price?

and lastly, is t legal to tint out a windshield? is this commonly done? I've seen it in advertising click here for an example it looks kind of cool, what are the pros and cons?

thanks in advance for any info any of you have.

cheers
dirk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
there is a big difference between what you guys call 70% and 50%. I believe 70% is how much light is blocked out? Since you have a dark interior, it is very noticable. but 50% just cut down some UVs and glare, it doesn't have that tinted out effect.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick replies.

i believe the higher percent the more the light comes through.. at least here in the states, and i was pretty sure the windshield was illegal too, but i've seen it on some cars i believe, and in advertising so i was wondering. someone told me you can tint some of it (more than just a top brow tint) but that you still have to have a certain % untinted.. i dunno but it sounds like it's not worth the headache

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yeah, it's light transmission. 70% is all that's legal? You won't even see it. 35% is the standard state legality limit... it's what most states are... and that's not too noticable.

Windshield tint below a certain height from the top (3-4", somethin like that) is HIGHLY illegal in EVERY state.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
my bad.. since some board members say the % is how much light is blocked, and to some, the % is how much light is letting thru. Then yea, 70% is nothing, 50% is noticable at night since you have dark interior. 35% is noticable during the day, and it looks even darker at nite. then after that you have your 5% and limo tint. Limo tint you can't see anything at all... like my car. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts