Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is that noise going about 90-100mph? it screams and sounds weird.

and i cant exactly go to the dealer and be like, yeah my car screams when i go in excessive speeds.

does the governer scream? or is it my Vtec? :p

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: 90-100mph = loud noise! what!

I've heard a loud high pitched hum at around 150kph. But it was on a very windy day, so I'm assuming the actual wind speed hitting the car was well over 200. The sound was from where the hood meets the front grill.

Our cars are aerodynamic only to a point... high speed with high winds will result in certain body parts vibrating. It may also have been your hood oscilating... although I've never had it on my 3, I've seen it on an older Acura under similar conditions.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

^^^

makes sense.

it sounds like wirrrrrrrrrrr like something going out of control. like the wind is too much

·
Registered
439 Posts

Wind factor. Remember, you're 90-100mph 2 ton gush of wind which at time will go against 5-30mph winds going the opposite directions.

But I've gotten 4 tickets in the past 3 months so I don't dare go past 75mph nowadays. :(

·
Registered
8,677 Posts

Maybe it is your engine actually doing work?

·
Registered
31,080 Posts

golly k-spec, why would a nice young christian gentleman like yourself being driving at nearly twice the legal speed limit? :p Just teasing...

i think most oddly shaped objects, like cars, can have harmonic resonance at a defined speed. Kinda lke the opposite of the "sweet spot" we all feel when driving our cars. I mean the speed or rpm when the car feels like it's barely working (about 86mph in my 3).

Try something simple like removing the windshield wipers, and see if the "wrrrr" goes away. Likewise with antenna...etc. If you have a sunroof, your bound to have some additional noise...and a new lip too. right?

If it bothers you, increase speed until it either goes away or you're too busy driving to listen for some stupid wrrrrrrrrrr sound. :D

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

[quote author=kspec link=topic=65691.msg1125242#msg1125242 date=1167434416]
what is that noise going about 90-100mph? it screams and sounds weird.
[/quote]

Probably your passenger begging for mercy! :shock:

Darryl

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

haha idk. cant be my lip. my lip is low but this sound sounds like its located high.

and dont worry, i do these speeds in safe areas. take off my windshield wipers... yeah~ idk how to do that lol. but oh well. its not like i go to 90-100 often. just for fun sometimes. paid 18,000+ for a car, why not push it a while. ;)

·
Registered
31,080 Posts

i'm joshing, of course. :D

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

haha. this wirr is really loud, like music wouldnt cover the noise all the way its so loud. its sooo obvisous

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

what tires do you have?

·
Registered
141 Posts

[quote author=kspec link=topic=65691.msg1125242#msg1125242 date=1167434416]

does the governer scream? or is it my Vtec? :p
[/quote]

This made me just laugh. Yeah bro it's your mad 3rd gear VTAK.

·
Registered
685 Posts

I get it too, only mod on mine is the F2 CAI and it did it before I got that. Def something with the stock stuff. It always does it, no matter what wind. Thought it was my windshield wipers vibrating but i tured them on going 80+ and the noise didnt stop.

I think its the Mazda 3's warp drive.

I kinda like it if it isnt damaging anything cause it tells me im going too fast even though i feel like im only going 55.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

I don't think the Toyos are loud at that speed. Did you check your inertial dampers? It might have to be replaced. I think it's covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

i dont even know where or what that is.

i could tell my dealership about it, guess i should

then they are gonna drive it to high speeds, and if they only go 75, they arent gonna hear it~

can i tell them, "try going 105mph"

·
Registered
685 Posts

When I drove back to the dealership to pick up my tag I asked the guy who sold me the car and he said they wouldnt try to replicate it because you cant go that fast anywhere legally.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

kspec, you need inertial dampers so you don't die before and after warp speed ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts