Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok nice people... here is the problem.. already found what LED I need to replace #74 bulb from here:
for my ash tray..

but now I also wanted change bulb around the cigarrete lighter and when I puled the bulb out I found out it is not #74... it is smaller actually, and the base size is around 4mm.. when the #74 is around 5mm and it doesn't fit to the lighter base...I wanted buy a RED led for the lighter so it will look more bright and just better.. anyone knows what bulb I can use?

here are pics of both of them:

thank U

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hmm... I haven't come across any LED bulbs smaller than the #74. I'm pretty sure Zodiac is talking about changing his ashtray light to a #24, since that's even wider than a 74 bulb. Here's the thing, though, I'm not sure changing the lighter bulb to an LED would give you the effect you want. Since LEDs shine a very narrow beam of light, switching the lighter bulb to a LED might not cause the whole circle around the lighter to light up.

Another thing to consider is that the circle is red because of a red filter, which blocks out all light except for one specific wavelength. If your LED bulb has a slightly different wavelength of red light, the actual light shining through might actually be dimmer than with the original incandescent bulb. But hey, if you get it to work, post some pics and tell us how you did it!

Are you sure you want to use that #24 bulb for your ashtray? The space is quite small and you really don't need that bright of a bulb to light it all up. In fact, if it's too bright you might notice more light leaking out from the lip of the ashtray cover. Here's the final thing: one of those bulbs costs $5 + shipping, whereas I got two blue #74 LEDs for $1.50. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx to all of U.. yeah I was thinking about #24 bulb but after reading Your post I changed mind :) how about that one:

anyone tried it yet? will it fit? if not I will just go with that one:

any btw. where did U get Yours for $1.50? the last one above is $2.50.. not that I am so short with money.. cause $1 difference is not a problem to me at all :)

let me know.. thanx

·
Registered
782 Posts
I got all my LEDs from ebay seller warden_jp2002. He's got great prices and reasonable shipping costs ($1.80 for 1st item, +$1 for each additional item). You might want to take a look at some of his other items, and my post in this thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=13234.msg1160470#msg1160470 on the 1W 194 LEDs I used for maplights and rear license plate illumination.

Here's a link to the #74 bulbs I used for the ashtray light. You will need to specify when you place the order (send an e-mail to the seller, he responds real quick!) whether you want spark blue or xenon white, or he can mix and match. This is for a pair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs...ryZ33713QQihZ010QQitemZ200072009549QQtcZphoto

BTW, I don't think that 3-pronged LED you posted would work, there's not much room in the housing for that bulb!

I looked at the ring around the cigarette lighter yesterday and I think it's more of an orange filter than red, so I'm pretty sure that switching the little bulb with a red LED will cause it to be very dark, as the filter will block out much of the red wavelength.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I gave up on the lighter light.. to much problems with that :) will just change the ashtray bulb.. thanx for all the info.. appreciate that.. I came to Mazda from VW Jetta 2005.5 and before from Jetta 2001.. and I am kinda BLUE / RED light guy :) if U know what I am talking about.. still think VW in my price range has the best interior look.... oh well not everything can be VW :) :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to take a look at some of his other items, and my post in this thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=13234.msg1160470#msg1160470 on the 1W 194 LEDs I used for maplights and rear license plate illumination.

yeah I done that part already :) but bought all those bulbs from autolumination.com and exactly the same as U have.. but the only difference is license plate.. I have sedan so just one bulb there.. but looks great..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kendalf.. have another question.. what do u think about this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3-pin-Electr...egoryZ102560QQihZ010QQitemZ200073758662QQrdZ1 is this going to work in Mazda 3 GT 2006? I put those resistors for my tail lights turn signals.. but also run them enought long to find out they are heating up really bad.... so not sure how that will work in summer time when is HOT.. now with cold and winter it is not an issue.. but also how to instal the LED flasher? and where.. do u know anything about it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sorry, I haven't done anything with exterior lighting yet. You might want to take a look at the board on Exterior Lighting for an answer to this one. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts