Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

had my MS3 for two weeks now. overall I'm luvin it.

wondered if others noticed the 6MT tranny is stubborn and somewhat clunky during the 1st gear to 2nd gear shift?

especially when its still cold after starting. I find it can be finiky going into 2nd even with the clutch pedal mashed to the floor.

I've tried everything to avoid it. even a pronounced pause between gears doesn't always make a smooth transition into 2nd gear.

its not horrible or jerky. just not buttery smooth. anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

My '04 was like that for a while after I got it too. Be patient. It's just breaking in.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I dont have that problem at all, only shifting issue I have is when going from 2nd to 3rd I hit the dead spot in between 1 and 3 sometimes when im trying to shift really fast.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=68027.msg1172307#msg1172307 date=1169952748]
I dont have that problem at all, only shiting issue I have is when..
[/quote]

Sorry im just really imature.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=68027.msg1172698#msg1172698 date=1169983235]
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=68027.msg1172307#msg1172307 date=1169952748]
I dont have that problem at all, only shiting issue I have is when..
[/quote]

Sorry im just really imature.
[/quote]

got prunes?!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've noticed that the 1-2 shift on mine isn't very smooth either, more so when cold. It is getting better, but I wish it was as smooth as my 04 was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just noticed this problem tonight after my car had sat in the cold for a few hours. I also had the problem going into 3rd. Upshifting and downshifting into these gears was equally problematic. Going into 1st and 4th was fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yep, me too. Sometimes going from 1-2 it feels like it's catching on the gears. I thought i wasnt pressing the clutch down long enough during the shift, but even if i shift slowly i notice this clunk.

I've also hit that spot between 1 and 3 while upshifting quickly. It's really quite annoying actually.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i noticed this too with my '07 5spd. I didnt really notice this when i was testing it....then a few days later, it just started happening...wish it was smoother :-\

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

It will GET smoother. You guys are worrying about nothing.
Drive the car. Enjoy it, shift the gears and in a few months it will go away before you even realize it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The rough 1st-2nd shift was really annoying me but recently it has improved, I have about 2500 miles on the car and its definately going away slowly. Once warmed up I can shift with one finger and the car is buttery smooth, as far as the dead spot going into third, the twm shifter bushing got rid of that, I haven't missed a shift since I installed them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is it me or is 2 the fun gear?

On mine, when I go into second gear, it's like the car takes off like a rocket ship then! O_O

·
Registered
471 Posts
Since I put the TWM shifter bushings, the 1-2 friction/clunkiness is gone.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered the shifter bushings, they should be here in a day or two.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Don't mean to bring up a dead thread, but I just wanted to comment.

I imagine bushings would help alot with the problems people are experiencing. I had bushings on my old car, and it was butter smooth to shift. Never missed a shift.

At first I noticed a little bit of clunking when shifting from 1st to 2nd in the Speed, but either I'm learning how to drive it better, or it's getting better as time goes on, because I don't notice it as much anymore.

It such a fun car to drive regardless.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I haven't had that 1-2 problem yet. My main complaint with the whole car overall was the shifter sucked stock. I almost always catch 3rd trying to get into 5th from 4th. It seems like you have to use excessive effort to move it to the right that far

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Islandwarrior upgraded his transmission fluid and now his shifting is silky smooth compared to mine. Maybe try getting some new fluid?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
+1. I haven't tried it myself, but have heard others that did the same w/an improvement.
... Or.... maybe we could talk TWM into designing a progressive shifter for the 3, huh? That would be really cool imo.

Kevin? Where are you Kevin?

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow i thought it was only me...for me its 1st and 3rd...well 1st sometimes only when its stop and go driving but 3rd almost every time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts