Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm once again looking to upgrade the radio to a changer with MP3. I had looked into this back when I purchased the vehicle in 05 but the availability was pretty poor at that time so I gave up. I have done quite a bit of research on this (searching this forum and elsewhere) and I have learned quite a bit. I was even able to unlock the "Trip Computer/DIS" on my 06... :)

However, I am still puzzled by the differences in some of the part numbers for some of the factory radio models. Specifically, there are two different part number sets for the 6 disk changer with MP3 and I cannot figure out the difference.

BS0A-79-EGX no Bose, no Navi, no trip computer (DIS)
BS0B-79-EGX no Bose, no Navi, with trip computer (DIS)

BAP5-79-EGX no Bose, no Navi, no trip computer (DIS)
BAP6-79-EGX no Bose, no Navi, with trip computer (DIS)

Now the BS0's seem to be the radios that are used with the 06 through early 08 models. However, many of the on-line Dealers that stock and sell this radio have them listed as the BAP5 or 6 numbers and describe the application as "mfg date prior to Jan 1, 2008".

Are these the same unit with different part numbers or is there an actual difference? The MazdaUSA site does have a listing for both units depending on which year you select.

Does anyone know what's up with this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had a thought. At some point, I have read, Mazda removed the Tape/MD connector from the bottom of the unit. I know that the BS0's have it. I wonder if this is a possible difference.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Mazda did a mid year refresh of the 3 for the 2008.5 model year... that's where the "manufactured prior to Jan 1..." comes in. The connector to the main harness, and the pin out on the stereo changed during the refresh, so you need to make sure you get an older one.

If you give your VIN to one of the Mazda sponsors on the boards they should be able to pull up the '06 6CD/Mp3 accessory p/n and price. I think they run about $450.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want plug/play you def want the older one. I have the new one for sale - but you'd have to get creative with the wiring...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the confusing part though. The BAP5 and BAP6 numbers are specified for 2008 model year PRIOR to Jan 1. They have another part number for POST Jan 1.

If the BS0A and BS0B are for 2006 and 2007 models years, is the BAP5 and 6 ONLY for 2008 model year (not 2008.5)?

This is what doesn't add up to me. I understand that they changed the connector mid year 2008 but if the BAP5 and BAP6 were before the change, what is the difference between them? The "Set" button changed to ":00" ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's an update for anyone still interested in deciphering the part numbers of the stock radios. I was since I've been interested in upgrading my stereo with another OEM one ever since I got my 08 a year and a half ago. I finally did, getting one from ebay for $100, but you have to pay close attention to what part numbers are on the radios (look at the photos or descriptions). The one I got came out of a 2006, and it had part number BS0A-79-EG0 (6-disc, mp3, non-Bose, no DIS). Being a 2006 model, I was able to unlock the DIS :). The original radio had part number BAP5-XX-XXX (single disc, no mp3, no DIS) and the DIS couldn't be unlocked.

Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts