Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie, so it's a newbie question! (I DID SEARCH!)
I am planning to get new rims that has 42mm offset for my Mazda 3, which suppose to be 52.5mm offset stock, what effect does the wrong offset create and how to fix it?

PS. width increase also from 6.5in to 7.0

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you want a 7" wide rim, I'd look for a 48mm off-set. 42/43mm may work but I would be worried about rubbing on the fender lips when the suspension compresses.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is the post I made for someone with the same question month ago:

Let me see, the 7" rim will stick out 1/4"=6.25 mm more than the OEM rim.

In addition, your 42mm of offset will push the wheel out about 10.5mm (52.5-42).

So the rim will be out for 10.5+6.25=16.75 mm. Now the tire (not the rim) will stuck out a little less than that, probably somewhere around 14mm. The tire probably don't rub the fender.

BUT, your Pivot radius will increase by 10.5mm. The pivot radius is the distance between the steering axis and the center of the tire. That's around 37-41% bigger than the factory-tuned pivot radius. What does that imply? You will get more road feed back, on the steering wheel. Road bump will perturb a little more your steering wheel, and in some extreme case you might lost control of the car. 10.5mm is quite significant. I would say 2-3mm is OK, and 5mm is probably the max I would go. In any case, I wouldn't buy any after-market rim with offset smaller than 47.5mm.

Bruno

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. But I really don't see anything that has a larger offset than 43 mm, BBS ones ar least, most of them are 38mm and 7.5in!!! (already hard to find a 7.0in and 43 mm) any ideas guys? Or are we stuck with OEM rims? :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
ikkue said:
Wow. But I really don't see anything that has a larger offset than 43 mm, BBS ones ar least, most of them are 38mm and 7.5in!!! (already hard to find a 7.0in and 43 mm) any ideas guys? Or are we stuck with OEM rims? :roll:
Volk Racing!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know that fender clearance on a 17x7" is a concern, but I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how much clearance the stock 17x6.5" wheels have on the inside to work with?

Would the inside of a 17x7" wheel with 45mm offset rub any part of the suspension (of course tire dimensions may be a factor)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts