Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten the turbo kit and installed it yet? I was wondering how it is and if its reliable enough for daily driving. I posted in another forum and haven't gotten a whole lot of help so I'm hoping maybe this one will be the one for me!

· Registered
284 Posts
Has anyone gotten the turbo kit and installed it yet? I was wondering how it is and if its reliable enough for daily driving. I posted in another forum and haven't gotten a whole lot of help so I'm hoping maybe this one will be the one for me!
If you are refereeing the Cork Sport Turbo kit than...
It as of this point not really for automatic Mazda's. Although you can install it and it will work. I believe the main reason not yet applicated included for an automatic transmission model Mazda is no one has cracked the codes in the ECU for TCM operations? I considered being a guineapig to use my automatic model Mazda but have gone another way for now.
If you have a manual transmission this is the best kit by far and straight forward installation for an experienced DIY. Keep in mind it is entry level and reliable power output and has great potential to increase for even more power levels. While it does have its own ECU calibration the simple addition of an ECU program to do Data Logging and ECU calibration adjustments can easily be added at anytime.

The best information as always would be to contact Cork Sport direct. They have a great staff and very knowledgeable people that worked on the development of this project to offer for Mazda Hot Rodders!

· Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are refereeing the Cork Sport Turbo kit than...
It as of this point not really for automatic Mazda's. Although you can install it and it will work. I believe the main reason not yet applicated included for an automatic transmission model Mazda is no one has cracked the codes in the ECU for TCM operations? I considered being a guineapig to use my automatic model Mazda but have gone another way for now.
If you have a manual transmission this is the best kit by far and straight forward installation for an experienced DIY. Keep in mind it is entry level and reliable power output and has great potential to increase for even more power levels. While it does have its own ECU calibration the simple addition of an ECU program to do Data Logging and ECU calibration adjustments can easily be added at anytime.

The best information as always would be to contact Cork Sport direct. They have a great staff and very knowledgeable people that worked on the development of this project to offer for Mazda Hot Rodders!
Thank you for this, I do have the manual so I don't have to worry about that. Is there a certain amount of boost id be able to push to it being it has such a high compression? Should I do any extra engine work to make sure it doesn't get too much? I apologize if these are questions I should be asking corksport, I just want to make sure it isn't too much for the engine.

· Registered
284 Posts
The Cork Sport Kit should be installed exactly as per the installation instructions to be safe and reliable. After you get use to the large change in the power you can then consider if you need more power. The kit is indicating with their prototype car testing achieving 286whp. And that's a lot when you think about it.

I should make a correction in my first post. The application is now for automatics with a cautionary that the automatic transmission have known currently known power handling information? I can say that looking at the internals of the automatic I can understand why. Not to claim any number I would guess 30% engine power upgrade WHP would be with in safe limits? But that is only a guess on my part. The plan next summer is putting one on a Transmission DYNO and blowing it up and see. hahaha! I am not kidding either. This is how we can determine the weak areas of parts. Also reexamine the case to see if structurally there needs to be additional reinforcing.

· Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Transmission dyno-ing the auto? That'd be interesting to watch it blow up lol. Surprisingly I'm not too super concerned about the transmission though I should be, I just know the compression on the engine is already high, so I wasnt sure if I should do a rebuild with forged parts and dished pistons or if it would be alright as is. But if it is alright as is then it could be something I do later down the road to start pushing it for more power if I wanted to. No lie I'm more looking for minor power and more so the stututu noise. Also lost a race to a turbo'd car with the same size engine lol. I really appreciate all your input, thank you!

· Registered
284 Posts
Its not the spectaulur. The transmission just stops working generally smell reall bad when clutches start to burn or the fluid cooks.
The most overlooked on many builds is the transmission. My Getrag 6 speed on my 1.6 fwd, I had to beef up the case to be able to handle 450+WHP. It was basically welding up additional ribs in strategic areas inside the case.
Your compression is not a concern because of how the Skyactiv engine was designed. It just important to use 91-100 octane fuel always. I would have also recommended nonoxygenated fuel, but Cork Sport did not seem to be concerned.

As for you losing a race to a Turbo'd car.....
Well Tubo charged car in the same class will always have a hard time blowing the doors off a N/A engine in the short stop light to stop light challenge (1/8 mile) with a car that has a 75 shot of Nitrous. ;)

· Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not the spectaulur. The transmission just stops working generally smell reall bad when clutches start to burn or the fluid cooks.
The most overlooked on many builds is the transmission. My Getrag 6 speed on my 1.6 fwd, I had to beef up the case to be able to handle 450+WHP. It was basically welding up additional ribs in strategic areas inside the case.
Your compression is not a concern because of how the Skyactiv engine was designed. It just important to use 91-100 octane fuel always. I would have also recommended nonoxygenated fuel, but Cork Sport did not seem to be concerned.

As for you losing a race to a Turbo'd car.....
Well Tubo charged car in the same class will always have a hard time blowing the doors off a N/A engine in the short stop light to stop light challenge (1/8 mile) with a car that has a 75 shot of Nitrous. ;)
I'll look into things to build up the transmission then, thank you! And for sure, just push a button and I'm gone 😂

· Registered
284 Posts
I'll look into things to build up the transmission then, thank you! And for sure, just push a button and I'm gone 😂
Not sure you will find to many places anywhere that offer this service. It also requires the transmission case to be empty and completely cleaned bead blasted and sanitized. As for the rest , specialized gears can run a few thousand dollars. My gear set alone was almost 2000 bucks back in 2006.
Yup!

· Registered
43 Posts
I've put literally hundreds of miles on the shop turbo car and it is a blast.

We are currently fitting the kit to my 2.0.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts