Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Looks like I've found some pricing for the 3m clear adheasive stuff. About $100 for the "bra", $120 for the rocker panels, and about $65 to do the area around where the rocks will kick up (all 4 wheel well areas). I've also seen the headlight covers of the same stuff for $50 for already cut stuff.

I do have a couple of questions if anyone has put the stuff on. Does it have any effect on the paint? I've read on the 3m site it goes on and will come off easy (one time off).

IMO, it sounds better than sticking a bra on the front and having to take it off to wax the area because the bra is rubbing on the paint.

So if anyone has any experience with this stuff, I'd apprecaite the insight.

I've also gotten a b/w printout of the accessories for the 4dr and the 5dr which are avail from Mazda Corp.

4dr Ext:
Car Cover
Front mask (i and s)
Cargo Mat
Cargo Net
Fronta nd Rear Splash gaurds (doesn't look like it had the under molding)
Lip Spioler
Wing Spoiler
Under Door Monding and Sill Extension
AirDam w/ fog lamps (i)
AirDam No Fog Lamps (i)
Just fog Lamps Air dam installed already (i)

5dr Ext
Car Cover
Front Lip Spoiler
Nose Msk
Rear Under Diffuser (look at the butt of a RX-8, the black under the bumper)
Rear Bumper Step PLate
Wheel Arch Molding
Cargo Mat, Net or Tray

For Both (int and ext)
Rear Areo Flare
Door Edge Guards
Sun Screen
Moonroof Wind Deflector
Premium Floor Mats (whatever premium means)
Blue Carbon Fiber Look Door Trim
Red Carbon Fiber Look Dash Trim
Shift Knob and Brake Handle
Rear AshTray

I'll get my scanner scanning soon...

Hasta :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where did you get the prices and info for all this stuff? I can't find a website other than www.xpel.com that does clear paint protection, and they won't have anything for the MZ3 until the end of January.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The prices on the 3m stuff was a local shop Auto Trim Design in Lacey, Wa.

The info was from my Mazda dealer. He got the paperwork faxed from Mazda Corp and gave me a copy while they were filling a chip in the paint.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got my rig back from the shop and the following areas has the 3m applied:

Rear bumper, wheel wells, rocker panels, front bumper and 1/4 of the hood. I paid for all that, they did the following areas on their own: the door handles, the rear hatch handle area and the door edges.

I'm very impressed. You can't tell it's there unless you stare straight at it in the correct lighting. The only thing left is to do the headlights. I'm waiting for a perfect application for that fit

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just ordered my 3S from the dealer. They are going to put on Autobahnd from 3M on the hood, fender, front wheel arches, mirror, bumper, airdam, and lights, for $495. They even offered it to my girlfriend at that price and she has a 2k4 Corolla. If anyone in the area would like to get theirs done at that price, I think I can get them to agree to that price. Not the best price but decent. I will probably get the rear bumper, door edge, and rear wheel arches done a little bit later.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pricing...mine ran $440

·
Registered
202 Posts
so did they mention if they have to remove any clearcoat that is on the car (i.e. dealer applied prestige dupont clearcoat)? I just paid for this.... and while i want to get the 3m film, I don't want them to remove the dupont clearcoat on any part of the car.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is applied right on top of the clearcoat, won't damage it. Make sure it's clean and you don't have any scratches/dents/dings/bugs/bird doo doo on it cause it's locked in/on/around

·
Registered
202 Posts
I inquired with 3M (who sorta dodged the question) and a local shop that does 3m clearbra installations. 3m's answer seemed to suggest that it would involve removing any clearcoat:

"We recommend cleaning with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Then
because GPAC leaves residue, clean with Glass Cleaner (we recommend 3M)
that will not leave a residue. Then apply your film."

Then, the response from a local shop:

Q. will installation require removal of clearcoat treatments (e.g. dupont, permaplate, etc.) on areas that are going to be covered?

A."Yes, it would. Normally 3M prep-sol and rubbing alcohol would be used to prepare the surface."

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Q:Will Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film harm the painted surface if the film is removed?
A. If the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging paint surfaces beneath the film.

From the webite listed below. Now go get it on your car before you kill your paint

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah the benefit of having the 3m probably outweighs the benefit of maintaining the clearcoat applied by the dealer onthat same spot.

However, my question wasn't whether the 3m clearbra would harm the paint, but whether it would require the removal of the clearcoat treatment that i just purchased and had applied by the dealer. Of course the clearbra won't damage the paint. but that wasn't the question.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you just think about it, why would they use a harsh abrasive or a solvent which would remove a clearcoat which is designed to protect the paint from weather just to apply the product ontop of virgin paint.

I'm pretty darn sure the makers wouldn't create a product counter productive to it's intented use, to keep the paint, clearcoated and all looking great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just put this pic up on cardomain. It the clear bra on my hood. I tried taking pics of it before but it would never come out, but with this mornings frost on the hood you can see where the line ends. Just thought I would share.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts