Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repeat question, I searched and could not find a post about this.

Anyone know if you can put the clearbra over the dealer installed "dupont paint protection".

I was a sucker and pait the $399 for undercoating and paint protection, drop in the bucket I guess.

Anyway, also, any comments in general about the Clearbra would be great, I am new to the stuff.

Thanks,

·
Registered
39 Posts
04M3S said:
Anyone know if you can put the clearbra over the dealer installed "dupont paint protection".
Thanks,
The "DuPont paint protection" is probably some type of polish or wax. The installer will strip off any polish or wax before installing the clear 3M film.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is supposed to be a "sealer" that lasts 5 years, according to the documentation that they gave me. But, who knows...

Anyone know of a quality shop in Northern VA that does the clearbra?

Around here there are only two kinds of shops, the ones that fill up your car and wash it after an oil change (for $75). Or the ones that take your car for a joyride with their cousin, after the $25 quicky lube.

Hopefully, someone has found a decent shop.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
any type of paint protection is a complete rip off. How do you know the dealer really put it on? :wink:

As for the clearbra, for me the jury is still out. I haven't seen the long term effects of the clearbra on any car for 5+ years. The clear bra clocks out any UV rays hitting the car. I'm assuming the paint color will look different afterwards. Try standing in the sun and having one arm w/ sunscreen and the other not, what are the effects? Now that a poor analogy but you get the point I'm trying to make.

Simple remedy is wash and wax your car regularily and you should need no underbody protection, clear coat, etc.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Whew... When I read the subject to this thread... let's just say whew! (and think of the images going through my head)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As for the clearbra, there are several brand names of 3m film. The material is the same, but are cut out by different "manufacturers"
I have it on my Boxster. It was put on three years ago and so far has not yellowed and is not noticeable. It keeps the paint chips off the front of the car. Around here there is a lot of traffic and a lot of big trucks kicking up gravel. The hood and front fender on my Protege looks like it got a shotgun blast. The alternative is to get the front bumper and hood repainted every two or three years.

The installer here comes to your house and puts on the film. There is probably somebody like that in Northern Virginia. They usually advertise in the local Porche club newsletter. Go to www.pca.org, find your local chapter and look for an installer in the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Apparently not available yet

I too am interested in this for my Mazda3.

Through a web search I found two installers here in Northern Virginia. I asked both for quotes and have already received a reply from one. It's not good news yet: :(

To: ###############
Subject: Re: FORM SUBMISSION
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 08:58:25 -0800

Ray,

Unfortunately there are no kits available for the Mazda 3 at this time. I
checked with the design engineers and it is such a new car, that they
haven't had access to one yet near them in Texas. Hopefully a kit will be
available within the next few weeks. I would check back in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
Skip

Protective Film Technologies
Herndon, VA
703-944-7076
This vendor's web site is: http://www.pftfilms.com

I hope this helps,
Ray

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I hope there is a shop in my area to install the film when I get mine in March. I hope to have enough money left to get the film and tinting done.

BTW Ray, clever signature; I agree completely and pass on the right all the time :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
lmp180psu said:
I hope there is a shop in my area to install the film when I get mine in March. I hope to have enough money left to get the film and tinting done.

BTW Ray, clever signature; I agree completely and pass on the right all the time :)
Hopefully by the time you get your car there will be a kit for it.

You aren't too far away. Heck, maybe we can do a group buy with the installer down here.

As for tinting, there is a shop in Manassas, called VA Tint, that does a great job. They did my Jetta (which I traded for the 3) and my wife's new 4Runner.

As for passing on the right, it's too bad we have to do it. It would be so much better if people stayed right except to pass.

For what it is worth, my favorite other signature quote is:
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional." :D
Spoken like a true Geezer stil going through childhood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any new info on the clear bra from anyone?

I have found a few shops locally that install it, and they are supposed to be getting back to me. I have them checking on the availability of the ClearBra for the 3.

Surprisingly, I got price quotes for my G/F's Civic, and one was $850 and the other was $550, both were for the "Deluxe 15-piece kit", I am surprised at such a varience in price.

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I checked at VA Tint when I had my windows done about 10 days ago. They now do the clear bras too. Apparently there still aren't any kits for the 3's yet.

While there I checked on the price for my wife's 4Runner and it was much more reasonable than what I had been quoted by the other company mentioned in a previous post.

By the way, do you think Janet had a deluxe clear bra or just the standard kit during the Super Bowl half time show? I wonder how she got the kit so quick? I guess it helps to have money although I would think she would use it to help with Micheal's legal bills.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finprof said:
As for the clearbra, there are several brand names of 3m film. The material is the same, but are cut out by different "manufacturers"
I have it on my Boxster. It was put on three years ago and so far has not yellowed and is not noticeable. It keeps the paint chips off the front of the car. Around here there is a lot of traffic and a lot of big trucks kicking up gravel. The hood and front fender on my Protege looks like it got a shotgun blast. The alternative is to get the front bumper and hood repainted every two or three years.

The installer here comes to your house and puts on the film. There is probably somebody like that in Northern Virginia. They usually advertise in the local Porche club newsletter. Go to www.pca.org, find your local chapter and look for an installer in the classifieds.
Its really good to hear that after 3 years, your Porsche still looks hot. I would really really want it for winters up here in NY, due to the salt. After a long trip across the state, I end up with salt streaks coming off the front of my hood, my poor car!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
fearturtle44 said:
BTW, how much did the window tinting cost and which/how many windows did you have done?
Hey Kevin,

I had 35% done on all windows but the front (naturally). 35% does a good job of blocking out the glare, looks good and it doesn't give the law enforcement officers any reason to pull you over, even though it's darker than legal. You go any darker and I think you are just asking to be stopped.

The cost came in at $185. The guys at VA do a REALLY good job. I've had 3 or 4 done there now. I don't think I would go any where else in the area.

Once the weather clears up and I can wash the car, I'll get some pics taken.

Cheers,
Ray

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI, the site www.clearbra.com has all of the kits listed for the M3, as well as pics of what the pieces look like. I think about $469 or so for the whole deal. I am not sure exactly how hard it is to apply, but you can get a free installation video at 3m's site. Not sure how hard it is to install, but how hard can it possibly be?

Also, the guy from 3m says that you can buy the kits from any NAPA autoparts store. I will update when I know more.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Car bras are a two-edged sword.

They certainly help cut down on dings and paint nicks.

However over the long haul, most of them will cause hundreds of small scratches under them, sometimes referred to as micro-crazing. This is due to small particles of dirt and sand working their way under the bra, mostly being carried in by water, and then becoming lodged there, moving ever so slightly over time, and under pressure from the bra pushing down on them.

I've seen front ends of cars that had hundreds upon hundreds of these, creating a hazy effect on the paint.

Here's what Ford Motor Company officially recommends with a car bra:

Maintenance - Covers/Car Bra
The most important tip if you will be using a cover or car bra, is to make sure the car is clean. If there is any debris or dirt between the cover/car bra, you may end up scratching your car. Do not leave your car bra on for long periods of time. It is only meant to be driven with to deflect road debris. The dangers of leaving it on for long periods include: paint discoloration from heat and light, scratching, oxidization due to oils/fats in the material, and water damage to the paint. Some of these problems can be fixed, but the best way is prevention. If you don't need it on all the time, take it off.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
again.. this 3M is not the traditional black "leather" type that you put on your hood. it's a clear 3M film that's apply to the front end much like the film for your tinted windows.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.