Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I am quickly approaching 30K on my 2006 Auto GT and I am wondering if I need to do a tranny flush.

I do drive fairly aggressively (4-5k rpms on most shifts) and I figured it'd be worth doing the flush.

What do you guys think? Is $110 a good price?

Thanks!
Joseph

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I assume you have an ATX...if so, yes, a flush is a good idea. Right around $100 is pretty average, but make sure it's an actual flush they're doing and not just a drain and fill.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well some owners already started doing their tranny flush at 15k, but 30k sounds normal. For $110 i would recommend you to do it yourself, mechanics will use basic fluids ans charge you for their work too, where as they dont do much, so if i were you i would buy 12 quarts of Mobil1 Synthetic Transmission fluid or Amsoil Synthetic Transmission fluid, they are not cheap but i think you can buy Mobil 1 for $6.50 a quart = $78 for 12 quarts, this is enough for you to drain transmission 3 times, as you know draining it only takes 1/4 of the fluid out, therefore, drain it once, pour 4 quarts in, than shift in all gears for 5 min, than do it again, and again. Trust me synthetic fluid will make your tranny smoother, but on the other hand, if you dont have little time, than 30k sounds jist right to do the flush.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
$110 is reasonable. Just make sure they use Mercon V, and replace all of your fluids with a good machine.

As for DIY:

I did a walk through posted on this forum that shows you how to disconnect a hose from your transmission cooler which is right near your oil drain pan.

Then you connect a tube to the output of the cooler and lead it to a bucket.

Just start your engine, put it into drive and your ATX will flow into the container.

Do this for about 3 quarts.

Then fill up your dip stick with 3 quarts of fresh ATX.

Repeat this process 3 times, and your fluid will turn from dark to bright red.

I believe this method to be superior to drain and refill since it does ALL of your fluid (including through torque converter) in one batch and you arn't wasting any fluid.

Our tranny takes like 7.8 quarts of ATX, so I'd buy 9 quarts to be safe.

I get normal MerconV because it's not only like $3.50ea, but because a boosted member experienced transmission slipping when using Mobil 1 Synthetic.

You can also easily change the ATX filter which is in a black housing that's seen if you drop the transmission pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts